Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Fuel Evaporative Valve
bar10dah - Sunday, 15 January, 2012, at 4:09:38 pm
Using Durametric, I can't hear anything operate/click/whatever when I activate the Fuel Evaporative Valve. Is this normal? Or did that part fail? Is "Fuel Evaporative Valve" just another way of saying "Purge Valve for Fuel Vapor Canister?"

Mine's a '99 Box and I'm chasing a P0446 code [shutoff valve activated charcoal filter (function) below limit value].
bar10dah
Using Durametric, I can't hear anything operate/click/whatever when I activate the Fuel Evaporative Valve. Is this normal? Or did that part fail? Is "Fuel Evaporative Valve" just another way of saying "Purge Valve for Fuel Vapor Canister?"

Mine's a '99 Box and I'm chasing a P0446 code [shutoff valve activated charcoal filter (function) below limit value].

the valve's working but the problem lies elsewhere. For instance (according to my references) the purge line can be blocked or the flow resistance of the canister is too high.

Checking purge air line for leaks: disconnect purge air line from EVAP canister. Blow through purge air line with compressed air.

No other info is given but I would make a guess that you shouldn't subject the air line to 'shop' air pressure, that is air pressure commonly found in shop air lines, from around 60psi to even higher, up to 100psi and possibly higher.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
When you figure it, I'd like to know what it was. I have had this on a recurring basis when I get below 1/2 tank. I'm not too confident the fuel level has anything to do with it; but, its an interesting coincidence.
I first got the P0446 code after filling up...
bar10dah - Tuesday, 17 January, 2012, at 9:03:31 am
...driving 1.5 miles, then parking overnight. So I thought it was because my tank was too full. But I've since had it at various tank levels. So not sure there's any correlation.

I blew compressed air through the "purge air line." Or, at least what I think is the purge air line. Looking at diagrams, appears it's the line off the top of the charcoal canister. Now, just have to wait to see if the code reappears.

I did this job before reading MarcW's post above, so I ran 75 psi through the line. Hope it didn't cause any issues.
Thanks MarcW. So far, so good...
bar10dah - Wednesday, 18 January, 2012, at 10:45:00 pm
...but, we'll see. So far, I've been 77 miles and the P0446 code has not returned. Usually, I'd get the code (in addition to P1124 and P1126) within 15-30 miles. I'll keep driving it and will report back.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login