Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
A couple of things I noticed here that I hadn't seen before.

Looks like the right instrument pod has quite a bit of info available. I'm guessing that one setting will be to show a simulated analog fuel and temperature gauges, plus a lot of other info. available through OBC. 0:50

Mentions that the top now opens and closes in 9 seconds and the fact that there's a bit more room for taller drivers and shows more details on top operation at 1:12

When he inserts the key, you can see that it now has an Auto headlight setting for those who don't like turning them on and off themselves. 1:30

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2012 01:55PM by Guenter in Ontario. (view changes)
Re: Did you forget the link? *NM*
joris - Monday, 16 January, 2012, at 2:34:31 pm
Oops eye rolling smiley...link to video smiling smiley
Guenter in Ontario - Monday, 16 January, 2012, at 3:34:12 pm
Check the 2nd video. You can see lots of detail in full screen mode.

[www.autobild.de]
Very...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Monday, 16 January, 2012, at 5:43:27 pm
... slick and sleek without the clamshell.
That ignition switch is going to cost a bit more than the $8.00 for the Audi part winking smiley
I really like the package.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Great video link. I know the opinions on this board are mixed, but I gotta say that I like almost everything about this new car. Like the 911, the Boxster is going upscale. For me, this is perfect, since it is my primary driver. I don't want the much heavier 911, since I mostly drive in city traffic, but I do miss some of the luxury touches. This is just the middle ground I have been looking for, I may need to get on the list early.

I do have a little trepidation about spending mid $60's for a base, and mid $70's for an S Boxster. Especially since my 05 base, with 29K miles is probably only worth high teens to low 20's on trade. Still much better than $90's for a base 911 and $100's for an S.
Ouch! Maybe I should donate my 05 Base with 80K miles winking smiley

I like what I see with the new Boxster, but I really don't want to "go upscale". This is a car where less is more. I want a 2013 Spyder. There are so many "fat" cars designed for fat people, with over stuffed seats, "infotainment" centers that serve popcorn and caramel lattes in the back seat, cars that have to simulate engine noise in the audio system because you can't hear a thing inside the vehicle, cars that keep you up to date with Twitter and Facebook while you drive...

I don't really believe that is where Porsche is going with the Boxster, but I am keeping my eye on Lotus as an escape hatch. I think back to my dad's 1972 240Z and my 80's Jag XJS. The Z was loaded with electronic wizardry (of the time), but was pretty basic and very raw, i.e. fun. The XJS had those 12 cylinders but was completely civilized -- until you got the back end unhooked, which was easy with all that torque and uneven weight distribution. It was a fine personal car, although in its last few years, I had to carry around my Irish Wolfhound in the back pseudo-seat. (To date, no dog has been in the Boxster).

Since I have an 05 (and been with PPBB and Pedros Board ever since lurking while waiting for my car to be built), I am VERY familiar with the "the new side vents on the 987 suck, and what is with those stupid headlights?" response to every new generation of Porsche vehicle. I ain'a goin' there - cars need to be freshened up, and the 2013 Boxster looks like a really great evolution.
I think what Porsche is (and has been) doing is allowing you to customize the car to your liking to appeal to a larger market. Some want a sporty car with all the gizmos and doodads.

Other's want a car the is the essence of a Porsche. They'll pick the options that are driving and performance oriented.
Thanks for the link.

The absence of a clamshell suggests a weight saving and less operating complexity (though I've always regarded the clamshell operation as pretty cool to watch).

Looks as though the top may be fully automatic (no manual latch to fully close the roof), which suggests Porsche is making an upscale move. While that aspect of my 3 series convertible roof never failed, I was always a bit nervous that if/when it did, the fix wasn't going to be easy or inexpensive. For that reason, I've never minded manual latch on my 987.

I was hoping I might grow accustomed to the outside mirror stalks, but they're aesthetically disappointing. They look bulky and unrefined - really out of place. I can't help but wonder if Porsche will revisit this decision.

Like Guenter, I sure hope the manual shifter position is as ergonomically correct as the current model's.
Re: mirrors. I think Porsche does this intentionally to drive option sales. You can get the lower mirror housings painted for $320 or something. Same with the rear apron, headlight washers, and side intakes. All of those parts should be painted. They leave them black because they can, without harming the styling too much, knowing people will pay the extra money to get the car properly finished. I mean, on a $65k car, what's another $320, right?
I agree with what you're saying, John. I know that Porsche likes to charge to paint all the little bits and pieces. I doubt that was the reasoning for the change in mirror design. I believe that you could get parts of the former mirrors ordered in carbon fiber, so there was money to be made there. I think the new mirrors look fine on the Panamara - sedans in general

Just somehow, the biped mirrors look like they're designed for a sports car. I'm hoping they'll bring back some form of those in the first "refresh" of the new design, along with smoothing out the tailights. Then the exterior will be just spot on sporty, sexy and sleek and gotta have one. smiling smiley
I agree, I'm not crazy about the mirror design either (in addition to being p*ssed that they leave half of the housing unpainted... grrrrr...)

Still, for such a big change, and controversial spoiler notwithstanding, it's a design otherwise remarkably free of errors (IMO). Sadly, it's already "gotta have one" for me -- I'm weak! grinning smiley
New Boxster Video. Not sure if you have seen this one yet.
porschedlr - Tuesday, 17 January, 2012, at 2:40:51 pm
New 2013 Boxster / S

David C. Wilson
Bert Smith PORSCHE, BMW, VW

727-528-1120 x 541

727-741-3433 cell

727-521-1135 fax

Own: 1988 Porsche 944 (base) Red over Black 5-Speed (of course!)

Conversions: Bi-Xenon Hi/Lo beams in German Bocsh Glass Lenses, Alpine CD in-dash with Ipod input, blue tooth, and I used the shuttle control cable coming out of the rear of the deck to patch through digital Sirrius SAT radio! Chip in ECU, and K+N cold air intake. 17 inch 996 wheels and tires. Converted A/C, replaced all the engine gaskets, rack, and all brakes. I drive this car everyday to work ! Love it!
More New Boxster Video

David C. Wilson
Bert Smith PORSCHE, BMW, VW

727-528-1120 x 541

727-741-3433 cell

727-521-1135 fax

Own: 1988 Porsche 944 (base) Red over Black 5-Speed (of course!)

Conversions: Bi-Xenon Hi/Lo beams in German Bocsh Glass Lenses, Alpine CD in-dash with Ipod input, blue tooth, and I used the shuttle control cable coming out of the rear of the deck to patch through digital Sirrius SAT radio! Chip in ECU, and K+N cold air intake. 17 inch 996 wheels and tires. Converted A/C, replaced all the engine gaskets, rack, and all brakes. I drive this car everyday to work ! Love it!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login