Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Replacing Headlight Bulbs
AndyInNYC - Wednesday, 18 January, 2012, at 11:32:45 am
I've just noticed that one of my front headlights appears really dim. The other bulb was replaced after my deer accident.

I have a 2000 Base (not S). Two questions:

1. I'm probably going to replace both bulbs so that they at least match in brightness. I'd like the brightest bulbs possible - but I remember that some older, bright bulbs used to melt/burn the lamp covers. What bulbs should I get and from where are they available?

2. How difficult is it to replace the bulb? I failed shop and my wife shudders when I pick up anything bigger than a screwdriver. Is there a DIY guide out there (assuming i should even bother doing it myself)? How long should the swap take?

Thanks all. I love all the quick, informed posters on this (and PPBB before) website.

Andrew

(edited to track responses)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2012 11:33AM by AndyInNYC. (view changes)
Re: Replacing Headlight Bulbs
BoxsterBob - San Carlos - Wednesday, 18 January, 2012, at 11:59:27 am
You didn't say, but I'm assuming you have litronics? I recently replaced the driver's side and it isn't too difficult. I ordered the OEM bulb on-line, I don't recall the site, but it was ~$75. You have to use the headlight tool in the tool took kit.

For removing and replacing the light unit, I used Skyler's DIY page: Skyler's Litronic install DIY

Once you get the unit out, there is a panel on the back that provides access to the bulb. Be sure not to touch the new bulbs with bare hands as the oil on you fingers can cause problems.

Good luck.
Re: Replacing Headlight Bulbs
AndyInNYC - Wednesday, 18 January, 2012, at 12:05:00 pm
Yes I have litronics. I was under the impression that there were certain higher lumen lights which wouldn't discolor the plastic assembly on the market. Thanks for the OEM pricing.

Andrew
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2012 12:44PM by Laz. (view changes)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2012 12:45PM by Laz. (view changes)
OK, perhaps I misstated facts. I have the basic, regular lights. These are not litronics - they are halogen (I believe). So let's restart the conversation based on my needing H7 bulbs.

Andrew
OK, now we're talking...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Wednesday, 18 January, 2012, at 12:52:02 pm
... what you're mistaking for a "dim" headlight is probably your parking light. The H7 is most likely burnt out.
To replace it you'll have to remove the headlight assembly using the tool provided (in the car's tool kit - behind the spare tire - in the front trunk).
The owner's manual has the instructions on how to replace the bulb.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
There used to be lots of talk about the E-Dot and others. Lens covers also turned brown .
Without a brown lens cover, are there good or better choices than the OEM bulb?

Andrew
Here is some info on the burn potential: Burned lenses
If you want to stay...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Wednesday, 18 January, 2012, at 1:45:11 pm
... on halogens just install the 55W H7 bulb which is the OEM.
Going to a higher wattage will certainly harm your headlights from the inside out.
Your other alternative is to upgrade to xenon bulbs which produce much brighter, white light at cooler temperatures therefore protecting the headlight.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

Re: If you want to stay...
AndyInNYC - Wednesday, 18 January, 2012, at 7:37:28 pm
Pedro (Weston, FL)
... on halogens just install the 55W H7 bulb which is the OEM.
Going to a higher wattage will certainly harm your headlights from the inside out.
Your other alternative is to upgrade to xenon bulbs which produce much brighter, white light at cooler temperatures therefore protecting the headlight.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Are. Xenon. bulbs a drop in replacement option?
Re: If you want to stay...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Wednesday, 18 January, 2012, at 11:25:51 pm
Xenon (HID) is a conversion that needs installation.
It's not a drop in but it's certainly DIY.
Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla

Good point, Pedro. *NM*
Laz - Wednesday, 18 January, 2012, at 1:16:45 pm
In a pinch
Boxsterra - Wednesday, 18 January, 2012, at 10:08:24 pm
Swap the fog light bulb with the low beam bulb since they use the same bulb.

Note: the low beam bulb is counter-intuitively on the top (and the high beam is on the bottom) once you remove the headlight assembly
Headlight projection and illumination musings
Laz - Thursday, 19 January, 2012, at 10:20:36 am
Counter intuitive as it is, low beams give better illumination of relatively nearby pavement without harsh shadows because they project down into road irregularities. The high beams, when properly aimed, project parallel to the ground and are meant to illuminate far off objects, etc. I've observed Cibie Z-Beams giving reflectivity from a small traffic caution sign an estimated 7000 feet away.

Fog lights are ideally mounted low to the ground so as to minimize illuminating the fog itself (causing increased opacity*) and maximize pavement and near object illumination. (The compromise is that they cause harsh shadows from pavement irregularities.) I recall the pattern of Marchal 850s being flat across the top and spread to the bottom. Their instructions called for reversing the lenses should they be mounted with the lamp below their brackets.

* A reason not to use high beams in dense fog.
One tip replacing Headlight Bulbs
tom coughlin - Thursday, 19 January, 2012, at 9:28:17 am
I found one or two DIY video clips that were helpful. When ready to replace the whole module into the fender opening, be sure that both of the "tabs" are in their guide rails. It's possible to get the first tab in and not have the second one actually in the guide rail. Visually check that both are in, Good luck. Tom
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login