Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
New Boxster or Another car?
garyinseattle - Friday, 20 January, 2012, at 11:24:01 am
Just looked up the trade-in value of my 05 Boxster. 29K miles, S wheels, premium audio and a few other options. In excellent condition, which I feel mine should qualify, trade-in is only $19.5K.
Given that I really like the new Boxster, really have the bug for something different, and that a reasonably equipped S model is $65K, the difference will be $45K.
For that amount of money, I could add to my garage a really nice 4-6 year old used 911 coupe.
Fortunately for me, at this stage of life, this is not a means test. However, I do look at the value of putting that much money in a car, that even as my primary daily transportation, only gets driven 2-3K miles a year... I live very close to work and the golf course. Since moving 4 years ago, I have put 10K miles on the Boxster.
Anyone else thinking of the big financial bite to trade up?
Jeff Benson:

2016 Boxster, See it here: www.greatvalleyhouse.com/Boxster

First car: 1952 Hudson Hornet

First roadster: 1962 Austin Healy 3000 III

Still have: Computer free 1974 MGB

Previous Porsches since 1982: 924, 944, 944S, and four Boxsters; 97, 03, 08 & 2012
Re: New Boxster or Another car?
Frissen - Friday, 20 January, 2012, at 12:17:37 pm
let's dress up this magnificent thread with pics and decide if its a good idea to trade up...

MY2000 986 ofered trade in by independent broker $11.5k

no way!!!!!!! I'll just drive down to the ground, period

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2012 12:18PM by Frissen. (view changes)
mnchstrcityblues79 - Friday, 20 January, 2012, at 12:47:33 pm
Frissen
let's dress up this magnificent thread with pics and decide if its a good idea to trade up...

MY2000 986 ofered trade in by independent broker $11.5k

sweet rims, after market powder coat or did you purchase them black?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2012 12:47PM by mnchstrcityblues79. (view changes)
Frissen - Friday, 20 January, 2012, at 3:03:20 pm
sweet rims, after market powder coat or did you purchase them black?

OEM "17s that came with the car originally, just painted in a semi-matte dark gray-hue of gold smiling smiley anf these would be my track wheels

My street set up are these "18 Carrera S Reps painted the same way smiling smiley

Yes the Agusta behind it is mine, I have 5 of those, and yes I drive a meager MY2000 986 just for kicks and no I'm not rich smiling smiley
Gary in SoFL - Friday, 20 January, 2012, at 1:24:25 pm
Yes, but....

I still prefer the classic curved lines and relative simplicity of the 986, to the dolled up 987, or the slicked up Lexus like (to me) 981. Nice nice car, will sell lot hot cakes, but not for me.

I think I'd go for a still somewhat classic base 991 3.4L coupe, at around $85K, way before a $65K 981 S.

Of course I haven't obsessed over any of them, since unlike Guenter, I'm not in the market.....yet winking smiley
Re: Yeah, but Gary, you'll ALL about the curves. winking smiley
Gary in SoFL - Friday, 20 January, 2012, at 2:24:39 pm
I recall you travelling with some very nice curves yourself, Rog cool smiley
Roger987 - Friday, 20 January, 2012, at 3:45:39 pm
Thanks, but I'm not sure I'd appeal to you as much now, Gary; I gained weight over the Xmas holidays. grinning smiley
Gary in SoFL - Friday, 20 January, 2012, at 4:31:45 pm
Roger987
Thanks, but I'm not sure I'd appeal to you as much now, Gary; I gained weight over the Xmas holidays. grinning smiley

You know I'm talking about your much more attractive and slimer better half....or now a better quarter. winking smiley
"Slimmer" smiling smiley *NM*
Roger987 - Friday, 20 January, 2012, at 8:03:30 pm
Roger987 - Friday, 20 January, 2012, at 12:45:48 pm
Yup.

As retirement age approaches, big money spent on a car is money taken from retirement capital.

Of course, one might ask, "what better way to enjoy retirement?".

But with an uncertain global economy and ROI in secure investment instruments being at an all-time low, one can be understandably reluctant to reduce retirement capital 'just' to have the newest Boxster.

That being said, with the appearance of the 981, my 987 suddenly looks out-of-date, much more so than the 986 did when the 987 appeared. The aesthetic differences between the 981 and, for instance, Frissen's well-preserved 986 are startling. To my eye, the 981 looks like a much different car. The 986 was round, smallish, and some might say, 'girly' cute (not that there's anything wrong with that). The same can't be said of the 981.

So, the trade 'up' won't buy you only a new car, but a much more evolved car. With the introduction of the 981, the Boxster is much less likely to be regarded as the poor cousin of the 911, and for good reason.

If you have the $, and it's not going to crimp your retirement style, go for it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2012 12:46PM by Roger987. (view changes)
db997S - Friday, 20 January, 2012, at 1:19:59 pm
So, I take it that you wouldn't keep the Boxster then? Hard to tell from your post, but I'd imagine you'd give it up since you drive so few miles. Check to see if your clubs will fit in a 911 coupe. Me personally, I would stay away from the pre-2009 engines. That IMS thing would haunt me (once bitten, twice shy) and is one of the reasons I traded in my 02 SYS for a 2009 997S Cab. Drive a 911 and that might help you make up your mind. I didn't test a coupe as I wanted the drop top, but it is a lot different having all that room behind you, unlike the nice tight cabin feel of the Boxster. It is a different beast. Heck, with the new 911 coming out, maybe you could trade-in the Boxster and get a newer, used 911, one from 2009. Some leases maybe coming back in, or wait for the new one to hit show rooms and dealers may get 2009s as trades. There's lots of money in Seattle, so, folks may trade cars on a whim, or will always want the latest and greatest. So many positives have been written about the new 911, people with money to burn will get that itch. You could benefit from their scratching.
Faced the same sort of situation
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC - Friday, 20 January, 2012, at 2:06:51 pm
Secure financially, have other cars, live where I use a golf cart 80% of the time, Boxster needs nothing, Boxster lucky to get 1-2k year on it. Not bothered that the 986S was dated, still got 100% favorable comments from all sorts of folks.

My decision was that it wasn't worth the hassle of maintaining it any more for me and I'd just as soon use the garage space for the CRV (which enabled me to have a summer tires toy for 5+ years). Sold it. That was last August or so. Have I regretted it? Well a few of those perfect days when I could have taken the perfect 100 mile trip..like yesterday. But on the whole, content with the decision. Felt no big compulsion to upgrade though that doesn't say I haven't looked at what is available several times....and I looked at the 911s and the Boxster and the Caymans. No other brand appeals to me.

But lets say you are wanting the newness, the warranty, etc. Would you be better off selling yours in the spring when convertables are selling? Waiting till the new cars are available for drive to make sure the difference is really in the direction you want? Waiting to see what the new Caymans are like? We haven't seen any reviews by owners of prior models yet and I'm curious what those folks will say...are they tempted or not?

No reason my reasoning should be yours. Good luck.
My vote would be another car...
MarcW - Friday, 20 January, 2012, at 2:08:53 pm
unless you really decide you can't live without the Boxster or can't or don't want another car.

As much as I like my Boxster and have enjoyed it I am finding some things are starting...
to bother me and I'm driving the car less.

First the visibility out of the car -- with the top up which is the way I drive the car 100% of the time -- is a bit of a bother. Around here traffic is at times heavy, fast moving, and we still have some too many drivers on the cell phone, and the visibility out of the car I find more an issue nowadays.

My 996 has much better visibility and I sit a bit higher to boot.

Next the Boxster is getting harder to get in to and out of. I probably should come up with another technique to get in/out of the car but I still do it the way I've always done it and it is taking a toll on my right ankle and heel (which x-rays have shown has a bone spur).

The 996 is a bit easier to get in to and out out simply because the seat's a bit higher.

Also, the 996 is a bit posher inside: full (black) leather; full power seats with memory; auto-dimming mirrors; variable wipers with rain sensing; an on-board computer; battery voltage and oil pressure gages. The car of course comes with a large rear glass window which is heated and has a wiper.

Both cars have auto-climate control which I am completely sold on along with a very good cruise control system (thank you E-Gas!).

Another plus for the 996 is on long road trips when I get tired I can pull over someplace safe and move the driver's seat way back and recline the back and stretch out for a much needed rest break. The Boxster of course the seat can't go as far back and the seat back can't recline.

The mid-engine layout of the Boxster is amazing but the way I drive my cars I do not feel I give up any handling/responsiveness when I drive the 996.

The downside to the 996 is its running and servicing costs which is compounded by the amount of miles I drive. (If I drove just a couple of thousand miles per year I think I could afford a C-GT at least its servicing/running costs.)

Anyhow the 996's tire life is on par with that of the Boxster. 15K rears, double that fronts. The 996 tires (18") are more expensive than the Boxster's (17") even though I run Michelins on the Boxster and currently Bridgestones on the 996.

The 996 does not get quite as good as gas mileage as the Boxster. Roughly the 996 gets around 20mpg under the same driving conditions the Boxster gets 25mpg.

I wouldn't trade my Boxster experience for anything but I am glad I got to experience a 996 too. Going forward if I decide to buy another Porsche either a 996, or 997 or even a 991 (though I doubt I would buy a new car -- the new car depreciation hit is horrible!) I think would be my choice.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Not Mark, here, but my wife likes getting in and out of my 997 much better than my 986. She'd complain all the time about getting in and out of the Boxster. First time she sat in the 997, she mentioned how much better it was than the Boxster to get in and out of.
I feel like I'm falling into a hole the first time I get back into the driver's seat.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Frissen - Friday, 20 January, 2012, at 3:22:12 pm
no doubt that everyone has a different story, compounding all factors each of us has a different reason to keep or ditch our beloved Boxsters...

I seldom think about running costs but I do take a hard pounding at Mexico's prices for parts and tires...
Another car
Sheriff John - Friday, 20 January, 2012, at 3:31:42 pm
Life is short. Experience something different. I have a 986 and a 996. Same but different! I agree with most of Mark W's comments. If I trade (up?) I may do the "pepper" or the panamerica with paddle shifters!
Add another car to my current Boxster
garyinseattle - Friday, 20 January, 2012, at 3:59:38 pm
What I meant by "add another car to my garage", is that I have space for more cars, and could, for the $45K difference, add an 04-05 911 coupe, and keep the Boxster. I also could add something fun like a mid-60's corvette convertible. I have owned 911's before, and agree they are very different, that wold be the reason for owning both Box and 911.
Re: Add another car to my current Boxster
MikenOH - Friday, 20 January, 2012, at 6:32:17 pm
garyinseattle
What I meant by "add another car to my garage", is that I have space for more cars, and could, for the $45K difference, add an 04-05 911 coupe, and keep the Boxster. I also could add something fun like a mid-60's corvette convertible. I have owned 911's before, and agree they are very different, that wold be the reason for owning both Box and 911.

Funny you should mention a 60's corvette convertible--that's where I started 25+ years ago. Not sure if you've been down that road with a 25+ year old car, but it can be fun or a can of worms.

Here's a local one--I thought your pricing was a bit low, but it would seem the market from these cars--like a lot of things-- has taken a dump:
[cgi.ebay.com]

My own recollection having driven some classics and switched back to the newer sports cars like a Boxster, is that nostalgia and simplicity is great, but the new cars are so much better in just about every way.

If I had about $45k to put into a fun car, this is one that comes to mind :
[www.bmwblog.com]

The styling is not for everybody and orange isn't my favorite color, but this car has got the goods for having fun on the street or at the track--and a warranty!
Porsche then the whole car world is at your fingertips, obviously.

An older Corvette doesn't float my boat but if it floats your's add one to your garage and more power to you.

I've kind of had my eye on the newer Chargers. I'm partial to big coupes with big V8s and pretty basic USA car maker running gear. They may not be the most exotic of cars around but are well-suited to the roads/driving here in the USA.

I have to bring this up, but I would have held on to my 06 GTO if the blankity blank GM service techs would have abstained from taking the GTO out on joyrides on their breaks. While I sort of like a newer Corvette -- it fits into my like of big coupes with big V8 engines -- I'd never buy another GM product based on my experience with the GTO and GM servicing of the car.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Lawdevil & CURVN8R - Friday, 20 January, 2012, at 9:30:54 pm
I went through exactly the same discussion with myself - except I wanted a 2009 or newer Cab. After I saw all of the pics of the new Boxster, I decided on the Boxster. I could probably talk my wife in letting me spend the money for a new 991, but frankly, I prefer the new Boxster and it has more than adequate power for driving around the NC mountains. I suppose it does not have the "prestige" of a 911 - but that doesn't really matter to me. The Boxster is a ball and, with its two trunks, more practical for me. Now to find a good dealon the Boxster!

mike

Lawdevil
2013 Boxster S - Agate Grey,
2016 Macan Turbo - jet black
Cashiers, NC & Atlanta
The move to new never makes financial sense. But it can give you marginally better performance, and many just plain like new.

As you noted, the cars become relatively worthless quickly, and in my experience, are fairly cheap to keep.

I could care less.

The classic 911 route is an entirely different issue. Not nearly as practical or refined a car, but tons of style points and raw car-ness. Honestly, depending on your storage ability, i would rather think "keep the boxster and get a classic".

My boxster will likely be with me for 20 years. Why not? I'm still the weak link on the track, and on the road they all have more performance than we can use.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login