Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
New Hack for Sebring...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Friday, 20 January, 2012, at 6:24:46 pm
... which will not make my car faster, stop or turn any better.

On February 1st, we head on to Sebring for the World's biggest Porsche Club Race: The 48 Hours at Sebring.
This year I won't be racing, but I will be running in the Super Solo events which include day, dusk and night runs.
At Sebring I've always had problems with the dusk runs because the sun sets right over turn 17 at the end of the back straight.
Using sunglasses is good for the sunset, but at speed and with gloves and the helmet on it's practically impossible to remove them once it starts getting dark and it sucks to run with sunglasses at night.
So it occurred to me: Why not clip-ons?
I got them but then the issue was where do I put them?
After spending about an hour sitting in the driver's seat and looking for places... it hit me!

I had an old pair of broken magnetic clip-ons which I used as receivers.
I took out the plastic trim under the visor and using strong HVAC tape I taped the magnets from the old glasses in place, using parts of the old frame as support.

Since you can hardly tell where the magnets are, I used aI put a piece of tape to allow me to see where the center is.

Now I'll be able to safely remove them as I'm speeding on the back straight towards turn 17 once the sun has set.

BTW, if you use clip-ons, even if you don't run Sebring at dusk, this might just work for you as well winking smiley

Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login