Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Boxster designs - my humble two cents
Bobtesa - Saturday, 21 January, 2012, at 11:14:40 am
A little different take on Boxster designs.

I had two experiences with my Boxsters that clarified my thinking and feeling about these cars. The first was with my 1999 Silver/Bl/Bl Boxster. I spec'ed the car and agonized over color selection. I love looking at beautiful cars, but I don't particularly want to drive something too eye catching. So, while the S/B/B was my choice, I kind of kicked myself for not being more adventurous. Within a week or two of driving it, a little light bulb went off in my head - I couldn't see the color of my car while I was driving it. It could have been fuchsia and I wouldn't have cared less. The car was just a dream to drive. I no longer worried about the color. (Other than the interior color - always black or very dark for me - I don't want distractions like windshield glare while driving and dark colors reduce that.)

The second experience was almost an epiphany. I bought my 2008S off the lot. Silver/Bl/Bl. The same colors. I didn't much care, but it was as if I had the "same" car with all of the great upgrades I had seen put in Boxsters during the previous 10 years (glass rear window - no hack; top u/d under 30 mph; 6 speed; more power; psm; and some others). I drove my 99 to the dealer and took the 08S for a test drive with a salesman. Not to frisky a ride, but I could see the extra power was nice. During about a 5 minutes stretch of driving in a very "standard" mode (like in my Subaru or something) and talking about the car with the salesman, I had for just a second or two to realize that I was NOT in my 1999! It felt and handled pretty much the same. The look out from the car, the steering, brakes, and general handling were very much the same. I autoxed my 99 about 15 times and did about 5-6 DE's. I autoxed the 08S twice. This was incredibly revealing to me. It handled just like the 99. Were my times lower? Yes. The car has more power, and the power is a pleasure. But, is it a "different" car because the lights are different, the intakes are difference; the spoiler is different? Not to me. I don't see those things while I am driving. Except for the extra power, It is the same perma-grin inducing driving experience.

Personally, I like the looks of the 987 over the 986. I have the feeling that I will like the looks of the 991 even more. Is the 991 a "different car"? I doubt it. The engine is different for sure (no IMS, and with DFI), but it is still the same mid-mounted flat 6, with I bet pretty much the same suspension. I am not in the market for a new Boxster. If I was, my guess is that the new engine would be my motivation (no IMS worries). I may love looking at the new Boxsters, but I think if I owned one, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference while driving, autoxing, or DEing. (Although very experienced DE'ers may be able to tell subtle differences, but then maybe not.)

For folks who want a "different" Boxster, IMHO, that's the Cayman. It is not just a Boxster coupe. From what I recall reading, the suspension in the coupe was able to take advantage of the additional structure and it does handle better than the cabriolet (Boxster). I put a deposit down on a Cayman, but backed out when I learned it cost more than the cab version.

1999 Arctic Sivler/black/black (sold)
2008s Silver/black/black - so predictable
2011 Outback
8/24/2011 first Grandson
Right...
TheFarmer - Saturday, 21 January, 2012, at 2:43:48 pm
No "but's" here. I have always felt that the look of a car is what you see from the driver's seat, and what you notice from there had better be outside the car - like where you are going is more important than studying the burl on your walnut dash. It will be interesting to hear whether the change in wheelbase has a significant effect on the feel of the car.
i had my boxster for nearly 10 years and every time, and i mean every single time that i walked up to the car, i had that wow feeling. sure when you're inside you can't see the colour outside but how about after you park it and walk away? how many times have you ever parked your car and not looked back as you walk away? not many for me. the 986 is, was, and always will be "the original boxster." sure i like the new one but it's still the original one that makes my heart skip a beat.

--
MY 2000 S, Ocean Blue, Metropol Blue, Savanah Beige.
Bought June 2000 - Sold May 2010
I couldn't agree with you more. Besides the little rush I get looking at the car before and after a drive, it's the beauty of the car that motivates me to keep it in A1 condition. I find it a joy to groom inside and out. With the added bonus that every time I get in for a ride, it is liking getting into a new car.
The Boxster just has such nice curves and it looks fast just sitting there, beckoning you to take it for a spin. Once inside, it's all about the driver's position with the controls in just the right place and the sound of the Symphony in Flat Six firing up accompanying you through the curves.

I find cleaning and waxing the Boxster is such a pleasant activity. For some people it's a chore, but I just never feel that way about it.

So, for me it's the total package.
Back in the summer of 2008....
dghii - Tuesday, 24 January, 2012, at 11:07:45 am
...I was in full search mode for a used Boxster, having gone through various BMW Z car in previous years. While my original target was a nice base car in the mid-teens (four teenage boys still at home at the time, three in braces), my searching was experiencing the typical price creep that happens when you are in the market for a car. You know, a little newer, more $$, a little lower miles, more $$, a few more options, more $$. You know the drill.

Anyway, my wife and I were spending a weekend in Atlanta catching a few Braves games and playing tourist. While driving around north of the city, we spotted a used medium blue 987 at a local BMW dealer. The car turned out to be a 2005 base 5 speed with 14K miles. The car was beautiful and looked brand new. A salesman 'insited' that we drive the car. With very little arm twisting required, we took the car for a short drive. I really liked the looks of the 987 and the interior materials were heads above what I'd seen in the 986's I'd looked at. The car was fun to drive and felt like a new car. Problem was, the car was in the mid $30's. Why the heck did I even stop and tempt myself?

After thanking the salesman for the opportunitiy and moving on, a short bit down the road, we spotted a silver 986 on the lot of a Pontiac dealer. We stopped as I felt that this was a good opportunity to drive the two cars essentially back to back. Now I had previously driven a 986 base but it ahd been a while. The car in question ended up being a 2004 S with a 6 speed and only 29K miles. For some reason, it was much more difficult to get the opportunity to take the car for a drive....lots of stupid paperwork and copying of drivers liscense etc.
Well I got in the car and it felt smaller than the 987. The controls and materials felt cheaper. We started the car and pulled out of the lot onto the highway. As I briskly accellerated (respectful of a car not up to temperature, mind you), my very first impression...."Oh Sh_t!!" this car was a sports car. Period. End of discussion. Who cares about stupid interior materials or upgraded whatever? This was too much fun! Well, given the Pontiac dealer was quite sure that he'd be able to get the almost $30K he was asking for the car, we again left and wondered back toward the hotel, my head in full spin. My Boxster lust in full, wide open throttle mode at that point.

As fate would have it, just a few weeks later, I stumbled on a 'No Reserve' auction for a 2000S with 76k miles. The auction only had about 15 hours left before ending. As I had been searching ebay quite a bit over the previous few months, I couldn't believe that I hadn't spotted this car. Closer examination revealed that the car was a local, privately owned vehicle. As it was late on a Sunday evening, I emailed the seller to ask if it was possible for me to take a look at the car prior to the auction ending. The seller called me on Monday morning and invited me to come take a look. The car was great! It had a mark on one fender but was garage kept and everything on the car worked. The best part was, on a short test drive, the car immediately reminded me of the 2004S from Atlanta...just as fun, just as tight and just half the price!

Given that the auction was within a few hours of closing and the there were a couple of bids on the car, I thanked the owner and left to devise my plan. I few hours later, I was the high bidder. Today, the car has 101K miles and has been a joy to own and drive.

I'm sure I will replace it some day with a 987S when the right opportunity comes along. I look at the 987's all the time and really like their style. In the mean time, I'll simply stick with my 'old' 986. What a terrible fate!

dghii
2000 Boxster S 6speed 112k miles
'02 now just over 10 years old (as of the 19th of this month) and over 249K miles and yet I still can't stop looking back at the car after a drive, or even as happened today as I passed it by for the other car I gave the Boxster a once over with my eyes.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2012 10:30PM by Laz. (view changes)
With all of the football excitement yesterday, I forgot my anniversary. 14 years (only 115k mi) and I too still look back at the car and think how beautiful she is and how lucky i am, every time!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login