Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Any one have any info on hesitation on acceleration on 2013 boxter. PDK automatic. I have 20,000 miles on the car and this year I've noticed that from a stopped position I press down on accelerator and there is a hesitation before the car responds. It feels as thou it's getting worse. Today I almost felt like I was going to get hit because it took about 2 seconds to get through an intersection. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I'm taking it into dealer to have it checked out. Thanks for responding
The car is still under warranty, I would take it into the dealer and have them check it out. It could be something as minor as a dirty air filter.
Our pedal assy was replaced in the spring due to a faulty potentiometer; the dealer tested it and it was out of spec.
I noticed a hestitation or surging primarily at low speeds last fall, which got worse when I brough the car out in the spring.
Eventually, a red light came on the dash reading "limp mode"; I thought it might be the HPFP--as did one of the techs--but that didn't seem to be the case.
After the fix, I haven't had a reoccurance (knocking on wood winking smiley.
According to the dealer, they isolated the problem based on similar reports from other dealers.
If your car hasn't been to a dealer yet, it's probably time to go before you get stuck somewhere or hit.
I'm curious because my 981 has a pretty backfire-y exhaust on throttle lift off quite often. The dealer tells me this is "normal" or "ok" but I wonder if the mechanics have actually experienced it if and when they've road tested the car. I might ask them to check the pot at the next servicing, without sounding like a wisea-- know-it-all, and also realizing it could be a bajillion other things that affect fuel cut-off, etc. My car hasn't had any CELs, knock on wood!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2015 12:57PM by Laz. (view changes)
Laz
I'm curious because my 981 has a pretty backfire-y exhaust on throttle lift off quite often. The dealer tells me this is "normal" or "ok" but I wonder if the mechanics have actually experienced it if and when they've road tested the car. I might ask them to check the pot at the next servicing, without sounding like a wisea-- know-it-all, and also realizing it could be a bajillion other things that affect fuel cut-off, etc. My car hasn't had any CELs, knock on wood!

I bet you've been experiencing that "backfire" since you've switched to using Sports Mode. With PSE, it's really accentuated. When driving "enthusiastically" in Sports Mode, mine can almost sound like a gun going off at up / down shifts or just lifting the throttle to slow down. I think it's just because there's a bit more excess gas being burned off. Maybe like burble plus? smiling smiley
For the first several thousand miles (≈10k) not so much, but since then, quite often. Seems to be a combination of factors, and interestingly enough, doesn't occur as much when the car is cold, which ought to be an overall rich condition (???) I often shift at around 4000-4500 and maybe it's a cam setting switchover phenomenon. Also, it doesn't occur as much when I super -quickly jump off the throttle… maybe I need to change my right foot/shifting style, i.e., faster (thus more like PDK!) and get more into higher rpm shift points, although that isn't very practical on anything but interstates. It only happens going from 1st to 2nd, maybe once if ever on a 2-3 shift. There's not much fun in redlining in first and already being at or over the speed limit and makes for very spastic vehicle dynamics! Every now and then I think of DFI putting carbon on the valves…
Laz
For the first several thousand miles (≈10k) not so much, but since then, quite often. Seems to be a combination of factors, and interestingly enough, doesn't occur as much when the car is cold, which ought to be an overall rich condition (???) I often shift at around 4000-4500 and maybe it's a cam setting switchover phenomenon. Also, it doesn't occur as much when I super -quickly jump off the throttle… maybe I need to change my right foot/shifting style, i.e., faster (thus more like PDK!) and get more into higher rpm shift points, although that isn't very practical on anything but interstates. It only happens going from 1st to 2nd, maybe once if ever on a 2-3 shift. There's not much fun in redlining in first and already being at or over the speed limit and makes for very spastic vehicle dynamics! Every now and then I think of DFI putting carbon on the valves…

About Sports Mode and a cold engine. I find the even though I engage SM, I don't actually get SM performance (even though it says "Sport" in the readout). Idle RPM's done seem to rise to the 925 level until the engine is fully warmed up (coolant at 194F and oil also up around 190 F). I think it's just the computers way of saying "Don't drive it hard until it's warmed up".)
Car was parked in my "under house" garage all day, ambient temperature was likely about 75º F. At ≈3/10 mile I engaged Sport while moderately accelerating up a rise. The Sport kicked in. Coolant was 138º; oil was 77. (Noted with the possibility that oil temperature is a parameter.)
One further point about the "backfiring:" At first it seemed to correlate with using Sport mode, which makes some sense, but it can be just as prominent in Normal, yet quieter when switching to Sport before the next 1-2 shift. This may occur because I'm conciously adjust my inputs after the fact. Under any other conditions and feathering or completely backing off the throttle, yes, Sport mode makes more burbling and some mild pops, etc. That's fun, and also lets my neighbors know I'm coming 'round the bend and they shouldn't back out of their driveways.
No CEL; just the red gauge alerting me that I was going into limp mode. Turned it off, did a restart with no CEL, drive it a bit, then the gauge came back on--then it was off to the dealer on a flatbed.

The backfires you mention sound like the normal overun that I've heard on every 981 S I've driven--sort of a popping noise when you let off the throttle after getting inot it a bit.
I used to set my Alfas' fuel cut-off solenoid (mechanical FI; threaded solenoid with a locking ring) such that the exhaust made a beautiful burble with the pedal barely depressed on deceleration.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login