Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Passenger side window doesn't go down enough
mnchstrcityblues79 - Sunday, 22 January, 2012, at 6:17:46 pm
So, by now you have already probably guessed that the Boxster I purchased is a bit of a project. My current project is the passenger window that did not descent the fraction of an inch when you pull the door handle (interior or exterior). I thought the problem was the door-lock mechanism so, this afternoon, I opened up the door and replaced the mechanism.

Well, after putting everything back together, it turns out it was the door-lock mechanism but it now also appears there was another problem. Since the repair, the window now does descend but not enough (previously it didn't descend at all) when you attempt to open the door.

So, the question, what would explain a previously non-decending window, now descending (with a replacement door-lock mechanism) but not descending enough?

Also, as an aside, this was the first project I undertook with the aid of Pelican's "101 Projects." While this was immensely helpful, word to the wise, as to this particular project at least, there is A LOT that Pelican left out. A LOT.
Re: Passenger side window doesn't go down enough
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Sunday, 22 January, 2012, at 9:35:26 pm
You may have had two problems, one of which has been corrected.
The mechanism with the micro switch now works.
You also have a bad window regulator.
This is very common on older Boxsters and Carreras.
Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
mnchstrcityblues79 - Sunday, 22 January, 2012, at 9:39:35 pm
Pedro (Weston, FL)
You may have had two problems, one of which has been corrected.
The mechanism with the micro switch now works.
You also have a bad window regulator.
This is very common on older Boxsters and Carreras.
Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Thank you, Pedro, as an immediate aside, thank you for maintaining this board. It's existence is invaluable.

Would a crack, chip or fracture in the glass cause this problem? I noticed a small shard of glass in the door but could not find any damage to the glass. Could be at the very bottom or te edge though.
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Monday, 23 January, 2012, at 12:00:42 am
What you describe is the typical symptom of the bad regulator.
Could the shard of glass be from the original window that was broken and replaced?
Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

mnchstrcityblues79 - Monday, 23 January, 2012, at 11:30:53 am
Pedro (Weston, FL)
What you describe is the typical symptom of the bad regulator.
Could the shard of glass be from the original window that was broken and replaced?
Happy Boxstering
Pedro

I couldn't answer whether there had been a previous broken glass.

Thanks for the rest, I will look into replacing the regulator. Any opinions on whether using a salvaged regulator would be a good idea?

Regards
Perhaps there's more glass jamming something.
Laz - Monday, 23 January, 2012, at 12:05:20 pm
Not that it makes a difference as to the fix, but a clue that the "shard" is from an original window is that it was inside the door. I understand a "shard" to be an irregular sliver of sorts. If it's more of a cube shape or you find other little rectangular solids, it's another clue that it's from an original window. An alternative idea is some out-of-whack internal mechanism caused a bit of the window, whether new or original, to break off.
Don't put in a ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Tuesday, 24 January, 2012, at 6:53:46 pm
... used regulator.
The problem with the regulators is that the blue plastic that supports the cable's tension breaks due to age and use.
A used regulator will fail a lot sooner than a new one and you'd be in the same place you are now.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla

I don't put in much in the way of used anythings in my cars.
Laz - Friday, 27 January, 2012, at 3:31:32 pm
Years ago I had a slight gearbox issue with my CRX and the dealer's shop supervisor offered to get a junker, but I said I wanted them to fix my transmission, a known quantity. The guys in the shop were competent and trustworthy.

Minus 40 degrees... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?
Re: Don't put in a ...
mnchstrcityblues79 - Friday, 27 January, 2012, at 4:18:00 pm
Pedro (Weston, FL)
... used regulator.
The problem with the regulators is that the blue plastic that supports the cable's tension breaks due to age and use.
A used regulator will fail a lot sooner than a new one and you'd be in the same place you are now.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Thanks, Pedro. When pricing new, what range should I be looking for?
Re: Don't put in a ...
mnchstrcityblues79 - Tuesday, 31 January, 2012, at 9:42:13 pm
Pedro (Weston, FL)
... used regulator.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Hey Pedro (or anyone else) what does the "Porsche Threaded Bolt Microswitch Lowering Door Glass" do? Could it be to blame for my issue? (Grasping at straws
Lol)
bigmach - Tuesday, 24 January, 2012, at 9:48:00 pm
I have the same issue on my driver window. The window does not go down at all while opening or closing the door. Before this happened, the window would keep jumping up and down about a half inch every time I would open the driver side window. Is this still the regulator or maybe the micro switch?

Pedro, can you suggest a site to buy the window regulator for a good price? Also, is this a DIY ? I'm a 5 on a 10 in DIY projects sad smiley

Also, when I open the driver side door, the cabin lights do not come on like they do for the passenger side, is this related to the above problem?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2012 09:49PM by bigmach. (view changes)
Window jumping up and down.
dghii - Wednesday, 25 January, 2012, at 11:42:58 am
The window jumping up and down may be caused by a broken spring at your inner door handle. Is there tension on the handle to pull it back to its resting position when you release it? In other words, does your inner door handle kind of 'flop around'? The inner handle presses on the micro switch which controls window drop.

dghii
2000 Boxster S 6speed 112k miles
Re: Window jumping up and down.
bigmach - Wednesday, 25 January, 2012, at 7:25:18 pm
the inner door handle seems to work fine, it goes back to the original position when released. However, now I have the issue of the window not going down by half an inch when opening the door.

If i want to change the regulator, how difficult of a project is it? any webpages somewhere with pictures of this DIY? Also, any recommendations on websites with good prices on parts?

Thanks
you have a problem with the micoswitch.
dghii - Wednesday, 25 January, 2012, at 10:13:31 pm
Either a bad connection or a bad switch. Easy enough to check and not big $$ to fix.

dghii
2000 Boxster S 6speed 112k miles
Re: Window jumping up and down.
mnchstrcityblues79 - Friday, 27 January, 2012, at 4:15:00 pm
bigmach
the inner door handle seems to work fine, it goes back to the original position when released. However, now I have the issue of the window not going down by half an inch when opening the door.

If i want to change the regulator, how difficult of a project is it? any webpages somewhere with pictures of this DIY? Also, any recommendations on websites with good prices on parts?

Thanks

Sounds like a bad connection because if it was a bad switch in the lock mechanism I believe the problem would be on the outside and inside.

Even so, if it's a bad micro switch I believe you have no option but to change the whole lock mechanism. If you choose to go this route hit me up for some advise, one 5/10 to another smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login