Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Hard to image the 991 being MAF-less...
MarcW - Tuesday, 24 January, 2012, at 6:53:17 pm
The MAF measures air mass and is the most direct method and requires no corrections for temperature or pressure, although barometric pressure is sometimes available from a BP or Baro sensor, as is of course air temperature.

An older engine management technique used a MAP (manifold absolute pressure) sensor -- a co-worker's '99 Accura had this (but his 'new' 08 BMW has a MAF) -- but a MAP would be a step backwards based on my info.

A tech at a dealer just finished a week's training on the 991 model. I haven't had a chance to talk to him yet about the 991's but next time I see him I'll try to remember to ask about this.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Thanks, Marc. *NM*
Laz - Tuesday, 24 January, 2012, at 8:03:18 pm
Minus 40 degrees... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?
Cars will eventually be MAF-less
Boxsterra - Wednesday, 25 January, 2012, at 9:20:13 am
Such is the progression of technology.
MAFs will go the way of mechanical distributor. *NM*
Laz - Wednesday, 25 January, 2012, at 10:45:08 am
Ooops: that's "distributors." My editor took the day off! *NM*
Laz - Wednesday, 25 January, 2012, at 11:25:22 am
is ingesting which is controlled for the most part by the driver working the throttle so it can add the right amount of fuel to satisfy emissions -- the converters work best within a narrow window air/fuel mixture (approx. 14.7:1 with not much leeway on either side) -- and the driver's torque demands (hard to full throttle) -- during which time the DME can suspend monitoring the converters' performance.

While in some engines (special) spark plugs are used to detect pre-detonation conditions which has done away with knock sensors my info is these plugs do not measure/can't measure air mass.

It will be interesting to see what someone comes up with that replaces the MAF.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Come to think of it, the Spica iniezione in Alfas used a barometric device to compensate for altitude. Ugh, now I'm reminded of the crazy "thermostatic actuator" it used to adjust for engine temperature. The dang thing would go out of calibration right out of the box: over a period of months its actuating piston would grow longer which required adding shims, and finally cutting bits of it off. Mannaggia al diavolo! One neat thing, though: I could get the exhaust to burble beautifully by deliberately misadjusting the fuel cut-off solenoid.

and learn about the new 991s! Snacks and drinks are provided. I'm RSVP'ing at once! Three of my favorite pastimes: eating, drinking and talking about Porsches. The only thing I enjoy more than the 3 things I listed is driving Porsches.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
smiling smiley smiling smiley smiling smiley smiling smiley smileys with beer *NM*
Harvey in FL - Friday, 27 January, 2012, at 2:10:41 pm
That's it? Please see the nearby "color" posting. *NM*
Laz - Friday, 27 January, 2012, at 3:22:22 pm

Whatever happened to that cute waitress? winking smiley
Yes: modular wheels. *NM*
Laz - Friday, 27 January, 2012, at 4:12:01 pm
And a BIG garage winking smiley *NM*
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Friday, 27 January, 2012, at 5:46:04 pm
Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
this dealer does have a very nice receptionist. She and I have talked some and I think she's very nice.

So its not all about the food, drink and cars.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Ray Catena in NJ had or has beautiful receptionists,
Laz - Friday, 27 January, 2012, at 7:10:57 pm
and a service writer who'd make you forget why you brought in the car.

was selling dealer installed options, one in particular I remember was a fancy theft alarm. I signed up for before I knew what I was doing. Shortly after I left the dealer I came to my senses but had a heck of a time canceling the order and getting my IIRC around $400 back.

But oh my was that young woman beatiful.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Hmm: "beatiful" ... beatific? By any chance was her name Beatrice? (Mr. Alighieri's guide through Paradise.)

On the other hand, There was a young lady from Exeter...
Beatific is beautiful no matter how it's spelled!
Laz - Monday, 30 January, 2012, at 2:31:59 pm
When I was a little boy, my grandparents had a neighbor named "Beata" who would sun herself in her backyard in a skimpy bikini. That was beautiful.
Somewhere I read that the new engine does not have a hot wire sensor anymore; it uses manifold pressure instead to calculate air flow.
Aha! Found the mention: R&T article linked in message body
Laz - Friday, 27 January, 2012, at 7:42:02 pm
[www.roadandtrack.com]

Seventh paragraph down under the header "More Power, Lighter Weight"

Link to an article about Manifold Pressure Sensors
Laz - Saturday, 28 January, 2012, at 11:05:04 am
[members.rennlist.com]

A spritz of electrical contact cleaner ain't gonna do it anymore.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login