Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
I have not opened my 08 engine compartment yet. I did that on occasion on my 99 and I'm glad to see from Pedro's diy's that it is pretty much the same. Once I open the engine compartment, what can/should I do? I only know of two things to do that are easy and straightforward: change the air filter and check the power steering fluid level. Is there more? I'm at 15K, so cleaning the throttle body would be premature.

Air filter -- The maintenance guide recommends changing the air filter at 48K. Should I not do that at 15K, or for what should not be too much $$, and going through the trouble of opening the compartment, why not do it?

Power steering fluid -- The owners manual states, "Regular checking of hydraulic fluid is part of servicing." But, the maintenance guide doesn't list this until the 48K service. I think waiting 48K is too long. The car is 3 years old, this should be checked and it is the reason why I am going into the engine bay.

Other than maybe cleaning things a bit, is there anything else to do?

--------

Aside from that, while looking at my owner's manual and service guide in prep to doing this, I found the following:

12,000 Miles service includes, "Tires and spare wheel: Check condition and tire pressure".

Looking in the manual for instructions on how open the engine compartments (which I think was included in my 99 manual), I went to the index and found "Engine compartment", indented under this heading is, "Lid Page 157". Page 157 has instructions for one thing - opening the front lid. This makes me wonder, is it written this way because some owners can not find the front hood release without a reference to the engine compartments?

1999 Arctic Sivler/black/black (sold)
2008s Silver/black/black - so predictable
2011 Outback
8/24/2011 first Grandson
Just don't start feeling too deflated when
Guenter in Ontario - Thursday, 26 January, 2012, at 11:11:45 am
you go to "Check condition and tire pressure" of your spare wheel. confused smiley winking smiley
With that little mileage
Boxsterra - Thursday, 26 January, 2012, at 1:04:24 pm
I would look for signs of rodent infestation.
1999 Arctic Sivler/black/black (sold)
2008s Silver/black/black - so predictable
2011 Outback
8/24/2011 first Grandson
That includes the top of the engine. Look for acorns, sticks, leaves. There is no way those would naturally get to the top of the engine (unless you're a serious shadetree mechanic, which you've already indicated you're not, at least with this car). Also follow the wiring harness, as much of it as you can see, and look for frayed areas. Much of the wiring harness has a rubber/cloth coating that they like to chew through.
Thanks. It occurred to me that I regularly look in areas in the front that would support wildlife. When I wash and dry, I remove the plastic pieces covering the battery and front drain areas to clean them. I would notice anything odd there. Now, I'll look for those kinds of trappings in the engine compartment when I open it.
Look for these:
Laz - Friday, 27 January, 2012, at 3:39:13 pm
rodentus automobilus

Minus 40 degrees... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login