Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Disconnecting lower rear control arm.....2001 S
dallas01s - Thursday, 26 January, 2012, at 7:01:49 pm
Changing first drive axle and encountering an issue when trying to remove the lower control arm/ball joint at the wheel carrier. There is a T40 torx that is used to counter-hold when removing the ball joint nut.....this was easy to access on the tie arm higher on the wheel carrier. However, there is no room to insert my T40 bit on the lower control arm/ball joint - the drive axle is in the way. Any ideas from others who have removed axles previously using this approach? Thanks...
Re: Disconnecting lower rear control arm.....2001 S
dallas01s - Thursday, 26 January, 2012, at 7:38:32 pm
OK on a whim I tried to loosen to ball joint nut w/o the T40 to counter-hold....and it didn't spin like the upper ball joint. So nut is off.....but now the OTC joint breaker tool won't fit in the tight space on the lower ball joint! Going to have to engineer something I think...unless better ideas out there...
What joint breaker tool are you using
Boxsterra - Thursday, 26 January, 2012, at 8:41:29 pm
This one works well

This one, not as good

Re: What joint breaker tool are you using
dallas01s - Thursday, 26 January, 2012, at 11:11:20 pm
I have the style similar to your first one....an OTC model. Not as thin on the fork as yours however. By the way, did you remove/loosen either the eccentric bolt or the bolt in the middle of control arm to trailing arm? Some write-ups claim that that helps, but I'd imagine you'll also need an alignment if the eccentric is moved....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login