Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
NOT an Oil Thread...
bar10dah - Thursday, 26 January, 2012, at 10:37:50 pm
...but, an oil question.

Read Pedro's link to Porsche Approved oils. Read LN Engineering's stuff. Read bobistheoilguy. Read thread after thread of oil debates. Just need to narrow down my choices between two weights of Castrol oils.

I'd like to buy the Castrol oil I constantly see recommended (not that any of the other choices are of lesser quality oils, NOT trying to start an oil debate, just what I've decided I wanted to try). At Autozone, I see Castrol Edge w/ SPT 5W-40 and Castrol Syntec 10W-40. Are these the same product, just different weights? Or are they totally different oils? The only thing I could tell by reading the back of the bottles is the 5W-40 says Porsche A40 and the 10W-40 does not.
Based on what I read
dghii - Friday, 27 January, 2012, at 11:59:37 am
They are two 'Edge' and 'Syntec with Edge' are two different formulations. I've been using Syntec with Edge for my 2000S for the last three years...changing annually with about 7-8K miles. I run 10W40 here in north florida where temps rarely get below 30F.

dghii
2000 Boxster S 6speed 112k miles
Darn Castrol marketing....
grant - Monday, 30 January, 2012, at 3:40:51 pm
is confusing the world.

there used to be Syntec.

Then they creatd Edge. Edge is truly better stock than syntec. but here in the U S of A, it is nto available in our preferred weights.

Then they decided to rebrand Syntec edge with syntec blah, blah. It is a bit upgraded too, btu largely a rebrand.

Now i hear they are expanding the weights of real, honest to goodness Edge (following this? if yes, amazing...)

My two cents:

1 edge > syntec if you have the right weights
2. 5w40 > 10w40 if your area gets even remotely cool
3. 10w40 > 5W4o for track use, since the HTHS will almost certainly be better with a narrower range

For most, the difference is minimal.

I am confused by the existence of syntec. It must be old stock. Nothign really wrong with old stock oil.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login