Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
I just thought I would vent some frustration at the Porsche-recommended Pirelli winter tires I have on my car now for the 2nd season. They suck.

We had some snow in Philly last week and I almost got stuck in my near-flat driveway. Total was maybe and inch or two max.

I have complained about these things before...... sorry, just getting a bit emotional as I depend on my Porsche 2000 S as my daily driver and these tires are just not safe in even the smallest amount of snow. I even called Porsche's 800 number to complain about their recommendation. They called me back and apologized FWIW.

I think I will keep them on into the summer an burn them up - they are not a bad dry performance tire (not that good but not that bad). Really, I can not tolerate something I feel is unsafe.
Re: Have I told you lately that I hate you?
MikenOH - Friday, 27 January, 2012, at 5:08:53 pm
FWIW, I've had Blizzak WS-60/70 tires on cars like the RX8, 328i and Rav4 for the past 8 winters and in snow as deep as 6", I've never had any issues. I would highly recommend them for superior traction on snow and ice.
Re: Have I told you lately that I hate you?
Alcantera - Friday, 27 January, 2012, at 9:27:16 pm
I have the same tires and you are correct. It makes you wonder if they ever tested them on snow. My old volvo had blizzacks on it and would go through antything and stop on a dime..
Alternate That Works...So Far
Sandbox - Friday, 27 January, 2012, at 10:47:37 pm
Have been running 18" Michelin Pilot Alpin PA-2's on my 987S for two winters and they are quite impressive. Classified "Performance Winter", they feel more like summe tires to me. Have not had tons of snow here in MD but they did the job in last week's snow/ice blast. Have Blizzaks on wife's Lexus IS350 and they are wonderful in snow/ice (amazing, in fact) but feel much "mushier". All in all....I heartily recommend the Michelins. Hoping the PA-3's (which seem on Tirerack reviews/surveys to be even better) will soon be available in sizes for the Boxster. Bob
i agree with sandbox
frogster - Saturday, 28 January, 2012, at 1:11:27 am
i've had the pilot alpin on many cars and they have always been stellar.

--
MY 2000 S, Ocean Blue, Metropol Blue, Savanah Beige.
Bought June 2000 - Sold May 2010
today i have Dunlop Wintersport M3s on both and they work very well dry or snow.

I have them on now in fact.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login