Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Beautiful.
Laz - Saturday, 28 January, 2012, at 11:08:59 am
As it was with the 987 intakes, they are better integrated with the 981 Cayman's shapes (the sweep of the side glass, e.g.) than with the 981 Boxster. Not that I would throw the Boxster out of bed... and shortly I'll be ordering one.

More Cayman considerations: the side view shows the repeating form of the headlight with the side intake, and the rear quarter glass mimics the taillight.

Minus 40 degrees... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2012 11:12AM by Laz. (view changes)
To me, the Ferrari is starting to look like
Laz - Saturday, 28 January, 2012, at 11:37:23 am
the Pontiac Solstice:

[images.search.yahoo.com]

Minus 40 degrees... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?
Someone had to say it. smiling smiley *NM*
Tony in Whittier - Sunday, 29 January, 2012, at 11:41:17 am
That's the style of side mirror that Porsche should have designed for the new Boxster.

It's true that there are going to be similarities when comparing low slung sports cars, but there's quite a difference (at least to me) beween the Cayman and the 599 SA Aperta. Most obvious is the roof - making it closer to a Boxster than Cayman.

I'm not sure that anyone will confuse the two cars.

carlos in Montreal
SA Aperta
I like the look; now about a 350hp 2.5L 4 cyl. motor
MikenOH - Saturday, 28 January, 2012, at 11:48:52 am
I like the looks on this car a lot; a subtle but recognizable improvement over the 987.

Now regarding the notion that a 2.5L turbo might be coming--sounds like what is in STI these days, but with more power.
Has all the turbo lag been sorted out these days compared to earlier cars? I ask since I drove an Audi A4 Quatro ('2010') on an auto-x course (way different car than we're talking about) but didn't really like how the power came on--step on it, nothing much--then boom!
Re: I like the look; now about a 350hp 2.5L 4 cyl. motor
jwdbox - Saturday, 28 January, 2012, at 8:04:21 pm
Agree re the turbo on the A4 in normal mode, but when I drive ours in sport setting, the lag is almost non-existant and the turbo works quite well. Kind of like the difference in driving the PDK in normal vs sport setting IMHO. cool smiley
MikenOH
I like the looks on this car a lot; a subtle but recognizable improvement over the 987.

Now regarding the notion that a 2.5L turbo might be coming--sounds like what is in STI these days, but with more power.
Has all the turbo lag been sorted out these days compared to earlier cars? I ask since I drove an Audi A4 Quatro ('2010') on an auto-x course (way different car than we're talking about) but didn't really like how the power came on--step on it, nothing much--then boom!

is market research, Porsche floating trial balloons and assessing the feedback.

While a flat four turbo-charged engine could end up the Boxster/Cayman I wouldn't sweat it until one can actually buy a car with such an engine.

For turbo lag improvements have been made. One thing that helps alleviate turbo lag is variable vane turbocharger. Variable vane turbos are common in diesel engines (my 02 VW Golf TDi had one and the turbo was a dream) but uncommon in gasoline engines, though of course they are showing up more often nowadays.

IIRC, Porsche was the first car maker to use a variable vane turbocharger on a gasoline engine (intended for the street) and that was in the new 997 Turbo model.

However, a turbocharged engine will never be as responsive as a comparable NA engine off idle. The culprit is the lower compression ratio required by the turbocharger application. My 02 Boxster with its 11.3:1 compression ratio is a real treat off of idle -- the responsiveness, the tractability of the engine is simply amazing -- while the Turbo with its 9.4:1 compression ratio is not quite the same. Nothing major but there is a noticeable difference between the 2 engines and their behavior at low engine speed operation.

However, I have managed to adapt to the turbo engine's characteristics.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login