Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Clunk on shifting revisited
JerryW - Sunday, 29 January, 2012, at 7:12:25 pm
When up shifting in the lower gears I hear a distinct "clunk". CV joints are new and I just installed a new front motor mount and yet the clunk is still there. Car is 2003 S with just under 80K miles. I looked all around while under the car doing the motor mount swap but saw nothing obvious. My imagination is now running wild and I think the noise is louder since installing the new motor mount. What other things are likely suspects? The car has had lead a charmed life with almost all of the miles on decent rural roads. Are the transmission mounts prone to failure? Would their demise be apparent on visual inspection. What about trailing arm and control arm bushings (joints)? Any other ideas, things I could check without field stripping the back end of the car?
The tranny mounts...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Sunday, 29 January, 2012, at 7:32:53 pm
... are not particularly prone to failure.
A simple visual test would determine if they have failed or not.
They are filled with a heavy oil-like substance that would have leaked if the mount failed.
I would also check the long trailing arms which are prone to wear and tear in particular at their ball joins and can also cause a loud metallic clunk.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login