Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.

grinning smiley

--
MY 2000 S, Ocean Blue, Metropol Blue, Savanah Beige.
Bought June 2000 - Sold May 2010
Hey, I like that a lot. thumbs up
Good thing it's pointed down. *NM*
Laz - Monday, 30 January, 2012, at 8:56:22 pm
The ignition is on the wrong side... winking smiley *NM*
bar10dah - Monday, 30 January, 2012, at 11:08:47 pm
That's why I put "NBC" in the subject line! cool smiley *NM*
frogster - Tuesday, 31 January, 2012, at 1:08:12 am
--
Not a bad idea. It is more comfortable than wearing it.

Caveats:
1. The holster needs to be secure enough so the gun can't fall out when jarred by rough roads.
2. Don't leave it there if the car is unattended or if kids are in it w/o you.
3. The holster needs to stay in-place when drawing the gun.
4. Make sure the gun is a major caliber (.40 or better).
5. Remember the Four Rules of Safe Gun Handling.

Who makes the holster?
6. VERY illegal in Canada

PS: Who, in their right mind, would want to jack anything but a Porsche winking smiley
KevinR-MedinaOhio
Who makes the holster?

sorry, i don't know. it was sent to me in an email in the same context as i posted it.

--
Who, in their right mind, would want to jack anything but a Porsche?

And that's why I asked that earlier question.cool smiley
thumbs up *NM*
Gary in SoFL - Tuesday, 31 January, 2012, at 1:04:11 pm
I like it!! It's easy to get to, holds the weapon securely and doesn't get in the way. The only problem is, it's probably not legal in Missouri. We have a sort of open carry in Missouri for vehicles and the laws for vehicles are the same for CCW permit holders as for those without one. One can carry in a car without a concealed carry permit. BUT...it has to be "concealed" . Unfortunately, this doesn't appear to be hidden enough to qualify. It looks to me like you could see it just by looking in the window. Not a problem, like most laws, unless you're caught. Too bad since it really is a nice design, but I really don't want to jeopardize my ccw or risk a $500 fine.

I've been using my Boxter Bag (I got one of the last ones available before the source, whose name I don't remember now, quit selling them), but it's not THAT handy for easy access. It does the job but.....
I found it. The holster is made by DeSantis.

DeSantis Car Holster

One can carry in a car without a concealed carry permit. BUT...it has to be "concealed" . Unfortunately, this doesn't appear to be hidden enough to qualify. It looks to me like you could see it just by looking in the window. Not a problem, like most laws, unless you're caught. Too bad since it really is a nice design, but I really don't want to jeopardize my ccw or risk a $500 fine.

I am not following you. Are you saying that there is no " open carry" in Missouri, or just not in cars? I know some states are goofy that way (allowing CCW but not allowing open carry).
If you think Mo law requires the handgun to be concealed, drape a towel over it and tuck in the ends. It is ten concealed. However, the attached link gives you an excellent PDF describing Mo CCW law. One paragraph near the end says that a handgun can be arrived anywhere in the passenger compartment.

Oh, and Mo's Castle Doctrine extends to vehicles.

Missouri CCW Law PDF

Disclaimer: I am not an attorney, I just occasionally portray one on TV.
You're correct. I was unclear. Yes you can carry in the car without a ccw. And it can be anywhere in the car. BUT...it still has to be concealed, otherwise you risk "brandishing" issues. (This according two ccw instructors I asked) And yes the castle doctrine extends to the vehicle. Open carry was the wrong choice of words. sorry about that.
I've tried the towel around the weapon in the seat.....not good since it slides around. I suppose one could stuff it between the seats with a towel or coat or something over it, but that doesn't work very well either since there's really not a lot of room between the seat and the console so the weapon keeps popping out! not good. Putting it in the console makes it fairly inaccessable. The regular cc holster I have is very uncomfortable while sitting in the car. I'm still looking for a solution.

...otherwise you risk "brandishing" issues

I'd argue concealing a gun in such a holster below the doorsill of you car and not in general view of the public is not "brandishing". My example of brandishing is if you are holding it in your hand and are waving it around. The various online dictionaries agree with me.
I wouldn't argue your point....I completely agree. However, again according to several CCW instructors and an attorney I know, there are several police departments around here which think otherwise. They have apparently interpreted brandishing as visible. NUTS! BS! But, since I'm not an attorney, and don't have one on retainer, and really don't want to push the issue at significant cost, I'll look for other solutions, I guess. Until and unless someone else proves differently in court. On the other hand, I talked to a third CCW instructor who said no problem!! (about the holster under the dash) Which side do you believe?
My anti-carjack device
Laz - Wednesday, 1 February, 2012, at 4:06:36 pm
Unless you threaten to put one down the filler tube, which would give any jacker (and everyone else) pause for thought. The subsequent arrival of a SWAT team might be problematic though. A Brookyn T ought to be sufficient. "You wanna take my car? You're a funny guy: here's a dollar, now get lost!"

I'm still looking for a solution.

Have you looked at "car" holsters that clip on and off the front of your belt?
Have you found any that are worth looking at?
With the explosion of states allowing civilian CCW, lots of custom leather makers have appeared, and they are bringing out some innovative designs.

Mounts for your car:

Texas Custom Holster

The DeSantis Kingston

Pro-Tech Seat Buddy

Seatcarry

Driving holsters:

F.I.S.T.

Ross

Active Progear

Winthrup Leather J-frame

Bond Arms Derringer/Holster Combination

Andrews Carjacker
Gum Creek

I'm going to get one.
Re: Web Site For The Holster That Spawned This Thread
Bob O - Friday, 10 February, 2012, at 10:01:27 am
I DO like that one. It's very convenient, sturdy, looks like it would be solid when mounted. I may reconsider. Unfortunately it's sold out according to the web site. Backordered til March.

It's very convenient, sturdy, looks like it would be solid when mounted.

Do you think it would mount beneath the steering wheel?

The DeSantis is similar, except that in place of the metal hooks on the straps, it looks like there is a long strap that hooks together somehow.
Re: Web Site For The Holster That Spawned This Thread
Bob O - Saturday, 11 February, 2012, at 2:33:55 pm
I think it would fit fine. Hard to tell for sure without one in hand. There's a place to attach both the bottom and top hooks, at least on mine. BUT..depending on the year of your car, the plastic owner's manual holder looks like it would have to be removed first. Which is not that big a deal. I don't know if the newer models have the same structure under the steering wheel as the 01 does, so I can't comment on that.

I went ahead and ordered it. I'll just deal with the visibility issue if and when it comes up. This solution though appears to be a good one. None of the others are as accessable..unless you get the ones that require you to drill holes in the steering column and i'm NOT going to do that!

Take a look at the DeSantis again. That one holds the weapon in front of the seat, right? From the photos I saw, (at least for the Springfield XDM) it looks like you'd be sitting on the buckle. I think that would be uncomfortable as heck. You could possibly move it around to avoid that, but I don't like that strap being in the middle of the seat whether the buckle is there or not. Just mho. It might work for you.
available at GUM CREEK CUSTOMS.com
Mine
grant - Saturday, 11 February, 2012, at 10:00:48 am
anti theft device:
[i44.tinypic.com]

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Re: Mine
KevinR-MedinaOhio - Saturday, 11 February, 2012, at 10:53:51 am
Not very concealable, but still highly effective.cool smiley
Re: Mine
Harvey in FL - Saturday, 11 February, 2012, at 3:35:28 pm
Concealable and effective!
Laz - Saturday, 11 February, 2012, at 3:49:10 pm
An adult chimp wouldn't even need the club.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login