Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Headlights
Roger987 - Wednesday, 1 February, 2012, at 10:34:44 am
The 986's 'fried egg' headlights were replaced with the 987's more-or-less oval headlights, which were well-received.

The 981's headlights have taken a new direction, as described in the Boxster brochure:

"The vertical contours of the headlights pay homage to the Porsche race cars of the 1960s and 1970s."

While I like the 981's headlights, I'll never tire of the timeless elegance of these round symmetrical classics...

I apologize for the blurry photo found on the 'net, but from the headlight shape and overall body contour, see if you can correctly guess the year and model.
Nice posture. Must be PASM. *NM*
Laz - Wednesday, 1 February, 2012, at 10:49:25 am
Perfect focus, Roger smoking smiley *NM*
Gary in SoFL - Wednesday, 1 February, 2012, at 11:30:25 am
Re: UHH what head lights? *NM*
carlos in Montreal - Wednesday, 1 February, 2012, at 6:56:25 pm
I've got an answer, but... mmmph. *NM*
Laz - Wednesday, 1 February, 2012, at 7:58:07 pm
For some time now, many suppliers have offered flexible, resilient, and (optimally) compliant headlights, enabling better visibility by self and others as well as for the absorption of everyday bumps and occasional impact of larger objects. Primarily plastics and silicone are used because they can be better shaped as desired and rebound to their intended shape w/o fear of breaking.

Clearly in this case though, no plastics have been used and given the size and minimal radius visible, I'd be going with OEM glass.

A careful observer will also notice a raised nub at the apex on each lens. This feature, though not always visible, has been exceptionally well received by the public, particularly male owners/drivers. Offering no protective qualities it does aid in the manufacturing process. It has also been suggested that, if anything, its presence aids in the aerodynamic qualities of the entire lens as this ridge is the leading edge.

Now, as to correct year and model...my first hunch is to say 930 which were only produced from 1975 thru 1988. Closer inspection, although appearing to be in very good condition, makes me think this finely crafted specimen was likely produced prior to 1975.
I thought the nubs were headlight washers *NM*
Boxsterra - Saturday, 4 February, 2012, at 8:59:47 pm
Are those HIDs? *NM*
Naples986 - Thursday, 2 February, 2012, at 6:59:30 pm
25 year old model. Female. *NM*
MarcW - Sunday, 5 February, 2012, at 2:41:17 pm
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2012 02:41PM by MarcW. (view changes)
This model's adaptive headlights were a sign of things to come...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login