Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
He's dancin', for sure
Roger987 - Saturday, 4 February, 2012, at 8:56:06 am
I had absolutely no idea there was so much left foot breaking. His left foot appeared to be on the brakes more than the clutch. I assume this is a rally thing.
THAT is driving
Guenter in Ontario - Saturday, 4 February, 2012, at 9:22:01 am
Even though a lot of the video is speeded up for effect, t really is incredible watching the foot work and shifting coordination.

Man at one with the machine. That's driving. Love it. hot smiley
Another reason to think about the PDK for the next Boxster!

Lawdevil
2013 Boxster S - Agate Grey,
2016 Macan Turbo - jet black
Cashiers, NC & Atlanta
Give me enough caffeine,
Laz - Saturday, 4 February, 2012, at 9:58:17 am
and I could move like that-- although I'd be into a tree, a wall, or over a cliff in the first 10 seconds.
Re: THAT is driving
Laz - Saturday, 4 February, 2012, at 9:52:57 am
I don't think it's speeded up. If you look at a lot of in-car videos, you'll see some pretty fast driver movements. Concerning the view out the windshield, the wide angle lens picks up the proximity of the crowds, which enhances the sense of speed. Also, the video's low resolution makes much of the movement jumpy, adding to the effect.

Check out through-the-windshield videos of cars at the Nurburgring. Some of them can make your head swim.
He could of had a PDK
frogster - Saturday, 4 February, 2012, at 1:50:28 pm
that is some fancy footwork indeed. now if he had a PDK and paddle shifters, he could off-load the clutch work to his hands and just use his left foot for the brakes. i wonder how long a PDK box would last under rally conditions though.

you must have to have nerves of steel though to drive at that speed on dirt roads with that many people literally inches from your car. heck, many people were standing in the road and jump out of the way at the last minute. one little error of judgement and a lot of people will die.

--
MY 2000 S, Ocean Blue, Metropol Blue, Savanah Beige.
Bought June 2000 - Sold May 2010
Re: He could of had a PDK
MikenOH - Saturday, 4 February, 2012, at 2:00:55 pm
frogster
that is some fancy footwork indeed. now if he had a PDK and paddle shifters, he could off-load the clutch work to his hands and just use his left foot for the brakes. i wonder how long a PDK box would last under rally conditions though.

you must have to have nerves of steel though to drive at that speed on dirt roads with that many people literally inches from your car. heck, many people were standing in the road and jump out of the way at the last minute. one little error of judgement and a lot of people will die.

Good question on the PDK lasting during rally conditions--you would hope that it would but, I'm not sure if they're designed to take that kind of abuse.

Regarding the people on the road--I can't imagine; one little move to avoid somebody in your way could upset the car enough to send you into the crowd.
Unless I missed it, where is this event and what's the time frame? I hope they still aren't running an event like this, but I guess old habits might be hard to break--I think the Pike's Peak hill climb still has large numbers of the public right at the edge of the road way.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2012 02:02PM by MikenOH. (view changes)
Since shifting and clutch enagement is done under computer control the shock to the transmission (and drivetrain, heck even the engine) is reduced. The PDK had multi-plate wet clutches (two: one for odd gears and one for even gears and I don't know which one gets reverse) so clutch life ought to be ok.

As long as the PDK fluid is properly cooled (and filtered?) I wouldn't think there would be a problem.

Also, PDK was first developed/used in racing, back in the mid-80's IIRC.

PDK was not a huge success because at the time the electronics were not up to the demands, but mechanically the PDK held up well in the few races in which it was used.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
MarcW
As long as the PDK fluid is properly cooled (and filtered?) I wouldn't think there would be a problem.

yes, i think cooling would be a big issue in a demanding situation like that. i wonder if anyone puts a cooling system on a PDK type box.

--
MY 2000 S, Ocean Blue, Metropol Blue, Savanah Beige.
Bought June 2000 - Sold May 2010
as great as that of the old slush box transmission, which used brake bands which slipped quite a bit and a torque converter both of which contributed to the transmission's heat load, the PDK while it has two wet clutches these do not slip all that much, no more than perhaps a perfectly manipulated manual transmission's clutch, and have no torque converter, I still seem to recall that PDK equipped cars come with a transmission cooler.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login