Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Could your car get hacked?
Guenter in Ontario - Monday, 6 February, 2012, at 8:57:54 am
Talking here about the same people that have been hacking into computers.

I've wondered in that past - if On Star or similar systems like the BMW system can unlock or stop your car remotely, what if someone hacks into the system and decided to stop all cars equipped with these systems.

Here's one where McAfee warns that unprotected car electronics could be hacked using a bluetooth gateways.

[www.geektown.ca]
Not a worry for pre-2003
Boxsterra - Monday, 6 February, 2012, at 2:35:38 pm
since the stereo/bluetooth is not connected to the rest of the car.

That is unless you're talking about people capturing your key transmitter info. That is totally possible but still not something I consider worth worrying about.
there has recently been discussion of this type of hack
frogster - Tuesday, 7 February, 2012, at 12:15:51 pm
apparently one group managed to get into the car's system via the tire pressure monitoring system since it is wireless. there are a few other vulnerabilities that have been exploited if i recall correctly.
developers and the corporations that pay them don't take the hacking threat seriously enough. maybe because the odds of it really happening are minute.

--
MY 2000 S, Ocean Blue, Metropol Blue, Savanah Beige.
Bought June 2000 - Sold May 2010
If there's money involved...
MarcW - Tuesday, 7 February, 2012, at 1:35:46 pm
frogster
apparently one group managed to get into the car's system via the tire pressure monitoring system since it is wireless. there are a few other vulnerabilities that have been exploited if i recall correctly.
developers and the corporations that pay them don't take the hacking threat seriously enough. maybe because the odds of it really happening are minute.

and it doesn't have to to Fort Knox money either, something as seemingly low down the money target list like laundry 'smart' cards used by college dorms, or someone simply gets some kind of satisfaction from hacking into something to cause harm, or just deny others services, a device will be hacked unless it has sufficient security.

What has happened in the past is there's no concern about hacking or minimal concern and the device/system is released with lame security.

Of course hacking takes place. So the device gets better security. But the hackers have gained experience and some insight into the minds of the people producing the device and as a result the improved device/system security is hacked sometimes rather quickly.

The above repeats and in one case the hackers contacted the company that produced the device and told the company they had already figured out the next security 'fix' and were prepared to crack it.

The very wrong thing to do is to take the threat lightly. Instead the threat should be taken very seriously and a very strong security system implemented out the outset. This discourages hackers because they like to break into the easier to hack systems. And there are plenty of them for them to break into.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Can you provide a more specific link? *NM*
Laz - Thursday, 9 February, 2012, at 12:36:32 pm
Just click on "Hacking" next to the red convertible
Guenter in Ontario - Thursday, 9 February, 2012, at 1:00:41 pm
Scary what a non-hacker ex-empoyee was able to do lease customer cars.

Can you imagine what a hacker or ticked off former employee could do to OnStar equipped cars? Remember the Tiger Woods commercial when he locked himself out of his OnStar equipped car?

Now you have cars that park themselves - so if a hacker can get control of the electonics - that would include brakes and steering. eye popping smiley
Thanks, missed that. Pretty busy page. *NM*
Laz - Thursday, 9 February, 2012, at 2:51:31 pm
can be hacked.

Once had a high-school kid who worked with me who was so smart his "industry" project could not be shown to his teacher once an Intel agency got wind of it because it was so highly classified. He went on to to a PhD and along the way as an undergrad demonstrated that by sitting down next to you or standing near you in an airport he could read everything in your wallet. The equipment wasn't that expensive either. Nor was it classified. That was probably 8 years ago.

So you have to assume that everything is available to "them" if they want it.
Wait til we have chips in our heads. *NM*
Laz - Friday, 10 February, 2012, at 1:17:58 pm
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login