Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
991 maintenance night mare..............
Harvey in FL - Tuesday, 7 February, 2012, at 11:03:25 am
I have just read another web site about the night mare to replace the oil & air filters on the new 991. To replace the oil filter, the rear spoiler must be removed. angry smiley To replace the air filter, the rear spoiler, tail lights and rear bumper must be removed. angry smiley hot smiley The base 991 with a few options is now costing >$100K, what's the big deal ......... +/- $350 for an oil change or +/- $650 to replace the air filters. Wrong! Maybe it's time to move the rear engine forward on the 911's. Oh! I forgot, since I have a 997, Porsche already makes a car with the engine more forward.
Re: 991 maintenance night mare..............
MikenOH - Tuesday, 7 February, 2012, at 11:18:16 am
Harvey in FL
I have just read another web site about the night mare to replace the oil & air filters on the new 991. To replace the oil filter, the rear spoiler must be removed. angry smiley To replace the air filter, the rear spoiler, tail lights and rear bumper must be removed. angry smiley hot smiley The base 991 with a few options is now costing >$100K, what's the big deal ......... +/- $350 for an oil change or +/- $650 to replace the air filters. Wrong! Maybe it's time to move the rear engine forward on the 911's. Oh! I forgot, since I have a 997, Porsche already makes a car with the engine more forward.

Hmm--can't the spoiler be manually deployed, allowing the filter to be removed?

Do you have a link for that discussion?
Harvey in FL - Tuesday, 7 February, 2012, at 11:53:58 am
MikenOH
Do you have a link for that discussion?

Rennlist...997 forum has pics and 991 forum.
whall - Tuesday, 7 February, 2012, at 12:03:05 pm
I was at my dealer's last Saturday night for the local "unveiling" party. One of the many sales types, in attendance, told me that the rear bumper cover had to be removed before engine maintenance can be performed! Access to the engine bay is YERY small and mainly blocked by two electric cooling fans.

There is a photograph in Pedro's post below.

Bill

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2012 12:11PM by whall. (view changes)
Found the link..
MikenOH - Tuesday, 7 February, 2012, at 12:07:22 pm
[www.914world.com]

To change the oil filter-- from the pictures--it appears you have to remove the dual fan assembly, in addition to the spoiler and--god forbid--rear tail lights?

The bumper has to come off to get at the air cleaner box.

I know the space is cramped back there, but on something that gets changed as frequently as an oil filter, wouldn't you think there would be a way of hinging the parts that must be moved, rather than requiring removal?
Anyone know what the dealers are charging for oil changes on the 991?
If this is true, I can see this as an opportunity to get more maintenance work for Porsche dealerships; I mean,how many DIY guys will want to take a crack at this?

Is there any history on previous Porsches where access to perform regular maintenance requires some partial dis-assembly?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2012 12:32PM by MikenOH. (view changes)
Pelican rates that task - oil and filter change - at 6 out of 10. I've done it and they're right.
Here's an easy maintenance car:
Laz - Tuesday, 7 February, 2012, at 3:20:57 pm
Lotsa_room_to_work

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2012 03:21PM by Laz. (view changes)
Frissen - Tuesday, 7 February, 2012, at 3:31:40 pm
oohhh crap!!! not only Porsche is going to charge an arm and leg for an stupid oil change but with the pepper and panny using most service bays I belive servicing in the near future is going to be a pita if is not already sad smiley
It's a pity it's a pita per Pannies and Peppers. *NM*
Laz - Tuesday, 7 February, 2012, at 3:40:09 pm
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2012 03:44PM by Laz. (view changes)
boxsterd - Tuesday, 7 February, 2012, at 8:07:07 pm
So how bad is it remove the rear spolier? I mean if it's two nuts that sounds easier than jacking up the rear and crawling underneath. Where's the drain plug? Does that require jacking up the car to remove?
Exactly what I was thinkiing
Boxsterra - Wednesday, 8 February, 2012, at 9:56:58 am
On the Boxster, you have to go through a fair amount to get at the engine, especially on the 987s where you need a tool to remove the engine cover.

So you have to remove some things to get at those maintenance items. But how difficult is it to remove those things? Perhaps they made it easy.
Let's hope so.
Laz - Thursday, 9 February, 2012, at 12:41:35 pm
I once had the rear bumper off my CRX, and it turned out to be a ten minute job maybe, with about four bolts holding the whole thing on. No electrics were involved, though, and certainly no plumbing.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login