Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
NPC: Bugatti Veyron doing 225 on public roads.
db997S - Thursday, 9 February, 2012, at 9:03:22 am
Here's some video of a guy doing a bunch of 200+ mph runs supposedly in Mexico, but at the end of the video he's stopped by AZ highway patrol. Not too smart to do this on public roads, even dumber to video tape it: Veyron high-speed run video
state how fast I had my Turbo going along that stretch... but it is a nice stretch of road.

Anyhow, apparently the Veyron driver can several people a high speed ride. I know that the AZ state police patrol that section of road quite heavily so it is not surprising he ended up with an AZ state policeman.

OTOH, sometimes in the UK car mags I read when an exotic car is being 'tested' on public roads the car gets stopped even though its driver may not have been observed breaking any laws.

The officers just want a ride.

The NV state police officer than came to me and my Turbo that night I hit a mule deer out side of Ely NV later told me if I wanted to bring the car back he and some of his friends could arrange for some high speed highway section to be 'available'. I haven't gone back... scared of the deer.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Don't recall where that is...
MarcW - Friday, 10 February, 2012, at 2:55:12 pm
Ah yes -- had to search its location -- I've been on I-15 up that way. -- the drive into St. George is awesome -- but I draw a blank when I try to remember what the road looks like from St. George to around Grand Junction CO, which of course requires one to turn off I-15. I've never been all the way up I-15 any past where I-70 intersects.

(Check that: I sort of recall spotting what I guessed were and later learned to be coal seams which one can see in the face of some of the bluffs that are visible from the highway.)

But beyond that the fact I can't recall anything else about that section of road suggests it might very well be a good place to drive up a storm.

Wait a minute... Now I recall a few years ago I created a bit of a breeze along that section in my VW Golf TDi. I remember because I was impressed given the cold weather (temp in the low 'teen's) and at around 6K above sea level how that 1.9l 90hp diesel engine could push that car through the air at a pretty good clip. (Later going over some of the passes on I-70 I was further impressed how the turbo-charged diesel engine performed. It was that drive and that car's performance that sold me on if the idea that if ever I am going to spend any time in mountainous areas to have if at all possible a vehicle with a turbo/supercharged engine.)

I remember another thing. Not a drive, per se, but a stop. Years earlier driving my Camaro I stopped at a rest stop to rest. I had to: I was falling asleep at the wheel. I stopped and fell asleep but woke up some time (an hour?) later near froze to death. In fact I believe the cold woke me up. Of course I would not have let the engine run while I was parked, and once the engine's off the car's temp drops like a stone in water. While I had a winter coat over me it was not enough. Took quite a while after the car got warm before I got warm and my teeth stopped chattering.

Man oh man. I feel the urge to hit the road again... Soon. Maybe as early as sometime in March, soon as the weather improves.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
seams along there. I'm thinking of I-70 in west Colorado and shale oil seams... Geesh.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Hey Marc, I'm about to do another route I- 40 run at the end of the month. I'm here in CA and will hit the road again back to PA.

I know how you feel about long road trips. I need at least one each year supplemented by a few short blasts say to the Carolinas or Woodward cruise in MI.
Well, not looking just yet, but thinking of looking...

MarcW.
Yes, I've had it for almost 2 years now. Many looong road trips and when equipped as mine is with adjustable Tokico shocks and Steeda Springs it as a very comfortable road car. They have gotten even better with the 5.0 V8 or 3.7 V6...BUT I wanted the Bullitt. The "other" Dennis joined me with a couple of Shelbys after a quick trip to Detroit this summer to visit the Mustang plant in Flat Rock...It ain't Stuttgart but it was interesting.
There's a nice portion of road...
bar10dah - Saturday, 11 February, 2012, at 5:41:00 pm
...in AZ about 35 miles long, that goes between Bell Rd in Sun City and I-10 in Buckeye. It goes from the north and wraps around to the west of the White Tanks Mountains. Looks exactly like the roads in the video. Used to call it the "proving grounds" as it was only lightly traveled. So if you wanted to take your motorcycle to 170 MPH, you had plenty of room to move. I wouldn't be surprised if that's where this was shot. I bet the makers of this video saying it was shot "south of the border" was just to cover up the fact that they were in AZ and heavily violating traffic laws. smiling smiley
Re: There's a nice portion of road...
Guenter in Ontario - Saturday, 11 February, 2012, at 11:28:35 pm
bar10dah
...in AZ about 35 miles long, that goes between Bell Rd in Sun City and I-10 in Buckeye. It goes from the north and wraps around to the west of the White Tanks Mountains. Looks exactly like the roads in the video. Used to call it the "proving grounds" as it was only lightly traveled. So if you wanted to take your motorcycle to 170 MPH, you had plenty of room to move. I wouldn't be surprised if that's where this was shot. I bet the makers of this video saying it was shot "south of the border" was just to cover up the fact that they were in AZ and heavily violating traffic laws. smiling smiley

Depends on your perspective.

It's definitely south of the border for me. winking smiley

Guenter
2014 Boxster S
GT Silver, 6 Speed Manual, Bi-Xenons, Sports Suspension (lowers car 20mm), Porsche Sports Exhaust, Porsche Torque Vectoring, Auto Climate control, heated and vented seats, 20" Carrera S Wheels, Pedro's TechNoWind, Sport Design steering wheel, Roll bars in GT Silver
[www.cyberdesignconcepts.com]
Touche... winking smiley *NM*
bar10dah - Sunday, 12 February, 2012, at 12:43:10 am
From my drives on I-10 at least from some point west of Blythe to some west to Phoenix all I can recall is very sparse desert/dry lake vegetation.

But you might be right.

I know you're right about that 'south of the border' (pardon the expression but it fits) BS. The only border those runs were south of is the Canada/USA border...

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login