Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Anyone here upgraded to one of Jake Raby's engines?
Kimo - Monday, 13 February, 2012, at 9:56:00 am
I've recently browsed through Mr. Raby's webite (Flat 6...) and the site shows several options for our Boxsters from 1997-2007, from 240HP to 450HP. Supposedly, the 450HP upgrade can apply to all Boxster models from 1997-2007, with a caveat that it's not street legal, of course. I'm not affiliated with Mr. Raby at all, but wanted to put this info out, in case someone here has the clams to actually go for it, so the rest of us can read about it. Expect to pay premium for an upgrade, but that's to be expected considering the work required.

Mr. Raby's engine upgrades

BTW - 2000 miles on Pedro's Techno Power2 with no CEL. One note is that using 10% Ethanol gas (97 Octane) still shows some improvement in gas mileage, but of course is not as much as the 100% gasoline (97 Octane) gains.

Aloha,
Kimo
120k miles
2000 2.7L Boxster (many mods)
Don't be concerned about the CEL...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Monday, 13 February, 2012, at 10:05:10 am
... coming up because of the TechnoPower2 Kit.
It won't.
If you ever get a CEL it'll be because of something else, such as an air leak, bad O2 sensor, etc.
Our DME remapping will not generate a CEL because we don't alter the gas/air mix or the stoichiometric point at all.
97 Octane? Wow! we can only get 95 here at regular pumps.
there's always racing fuel at almost $10/gal sad smiley
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Thanks, Pedro...question on the 2ndary air pump hose plug...
Kimo - Monday, 13 February, 2012, at 10:13:02 am
Where did you get that plug or how did you make one?

Should I just pinch it off?

Thanks, again, for you many innovations...CEL worry-free from your TP2 Kit.

Aloha,
Kimo
I turned a piece of ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Monday, 13 February, 2012, at 10:24:15 am
... 7/8" PVC hexagonal section.
But you can use just about anything that fits snugly in the opening from a boat transom plug to a large champagne cork to a piece of broomstick.
You can also secure it with zip ties or with a hose clamp.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

Re: Don't be concerned about the CEL...
danz76 - Tuesday, 14 February, 2012, at 11:44:19 am
Pedro, Where do you get 95? I can only find 93 in Miami.
I haven't seen a single posting on any of the Boxster web sites citing installation of one of the really big HP motors Jake sells. Since for that $$$$ and your car you can almost get a new model, I wonder how many have been sold.
Re: Anyone here upgraded to one of Jake Raby's engines?
Jake Raby - Monday, 13 February, 2012, at 2:17:05 pm
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC
I haven't seen a single posting on any of the Boxster web sites citing installation of one of the really big HP motors Jake sells. Since for that $$$$ and your car you can almost get a new model, I wonder how many have been sold.

The majority of these engines have gone into 996 platforms primarily because we must base them from the 3.6 liter 996 or larger foundations to achieve this level of performance. We do not carry out "engine conversions" and require that the reconstructed engine thats being installed also be the customer's engine (unless it was wasted due to a huge catastrophe). For instance a 2001 Boxster S came equipped with a 3.2 liter, 5 chain engine. The engine we have developed for that application is 3.6 liters and has three stages of tune, the least making 290HP and the most making 345HP. As we see more and more of the 06 and later cars we are working with more highly developed factory engines that are also larger @ 3.4 liters. With these we can easily perform some magic to see a 400HP number (because of the crankcase used) and the engine can be installed with no conversion required.
To answer the question, what has limited the number of 400+ HP engines we have created has been my desire to take them on and the fact that I refuse to work with engine conversions as applications for them. We have produced 10 of these engines since 2009 when the technology that allowed an engine this large to be created was completed. Some have gone to the 996 application and others to the Boxster for later cars. My engine program levels the playing field between Boxster and 996 and my version of the engine as a "big bore" is the same for either one internally.

We have spent the majority of our time developing and applying our medium displacement 3.2>>3.6 and 3.4>>3.6 engines along with the 3.6>>>3.8 packages in stage I and Stage II where ECU flashes and other bolt ons are not required. A truly developed 4 liter engine starts at a figure that cost more than most any older Boxster can be purchased for today, but that doesn't stop most of our purchasers that have developed vehicles that can actually use this sort of power. Many of these engines have been sold to international purchasers.
I have a few purchasers who have gobbled up these exceptionally powerful engines for Boxsters but they are not posters. If you want to get in touch with them, just email us.
Bigger is not better.
Enzo Ferrari would have disagreed
Boxsterra - Monday, 13 February, 2012, at 3:12:50 pm
"There's no substitute for cubic inches."

i.e. size matters
Re: Enzo Ferrari would have disagreed
Jake Raby - Monday, 13 February, 2012, at 4:32:17 pm
Then why aren't all of us driving 10 liters?
I would much rather have a better built, more efficient medium displacement engine with a broad power band as most anything I can think of. Based on port flow and shape studies that we have carried out the M96 cylinder head cannot adequately feed an N/A 4 liter engine. The M97 cylinder head has dramatic changes that can sustain this on the 3.8 liter factory engines and these even outflow the new DFI port in a back to back comparison that we carried out a few weeks ago. I included the port characteristics in my most recent Flat 6 newsletter.

There is no better way to create a worthless engine than to make it so large that it's displacement exceeds the capability of the cylinder heads. That said, very few factory M97 base engines have the proper characteristics to sustain a 4 liter combination effectively.
Re: Enzo Ferrari would have disagreed
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Monday, 13 February, 2012, at 5:23:43 pm
Signor Ferrari was really not into BIG displacement (at least not like the American Muscle Cars).
He just liked a lot of cylinders.
Most of his car's engines were under 5 liters of displacement (305 cid).
Happy Porscheing,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2012 05:26PM by Pedro (Weston, FL). (view changes)
Honestly, there is no conflict here. Because...
grant - Tuesday, 14 February, 2012, at 7:18:43 am
all things being equal, more displacement yeilds more power, and
regardless of displacement, flow and efficiency must be balanced - heads must keep up with dispalcement ( and vice-versa); fuel must keep up with air; etc.

rpms can be traded for dispalcement, but at the expense of flexibility, cost and wear.

forced induction provides efficiency gains, but has drawbacks w/r/t heat, delay (getting smaller but unavoidable to a degree)

life is full of trade offs. Engineering is the process of optimizing them to an applications specific requirements.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2012 07:19AM by grant. (view changes)
Lots of internal friction. *NM*
Laz - Monday, 13 February, 2012, at 9:37:08 pm
Now you're being the devil's advocate! *NM*
Laz - Monday, 13 February, 2012, at 9:40:30 pm
That's my job! .... LAWDEVIL *NM*
Lawdevil & CURVN8R - Monday, 13 February, 2012, at 10:26:18 pm
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login