Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Good will - NPC
Lawdevil & CURVN8R - Wednesday, 15 February, 2012, at 1:45:18 pm
Unbelievably, I just had a very pleasant experience at a car dealer. I took my wife's GX into the Lexus dealer for routine service. It is a 2004 model with 85,000 miles on the odo. While servicing the car, they found a leak in the front diff. The service writer explained that the cost to correct it is around $1,600. This apparently is more than a nuisance leak - if left unattended the front diff could be seriously damaged. Unlike oil leak, it is not really practical to check your diff level on a regular basis. While at the dealer, I did some quick research (on one of the computers available to customers) and found that this had been a problem with this model and that there is a service bulletin out on it. I politely discussed this with the service advisor telling him I had bought the car from them and had all my maintenance performed by that dealership. FWIW, I mentioned I would possibly be in the market for a new car for my wife when the next gen GX comes out. I asked for a "good will adjustment" - figuring if they agreed to pay anything, I would be better off. I thought that MAYBE they might split the bill with me. After waiting a few days for Lexus USA to respond, I received the message that Lexus would absorb the entire cost. I just left the car there (and am now driving a brand new Lexus loaner).

They were under no obligation to do anything for me - but certainly helped make it more likely I will buy another for my wife next year. I doubt that I would have achieved this result if I had bought the car elsewhere or had it serviced by an indie. It is true that I probably paid more than I needed to for service over the years - but one reason I did was in case I had something like this happen (along with the new loaner they always give).

Moral - even for an old car, it doesn't hurt to ask. In this case, I was very polite and courteous. Not sure what the result would have been if I had gotten angry and obnoxious.

Lawdevil
2013 Boxster S - Agate Grey,
2016 Macan Turbo - jet black
Cashiers, NC & Atlanta
Great story, and one that both......
Gary in SoFL - Wednesday, 15 February, 2012, at 6:34:00 pm
Third owners of decade old $10K "bargain" Boxsters, and Porsche, could learn from.
Nice. *NM*
Laz - Thursday, 16 February, 2012, at 12:54:54 am
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login