Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Starter issue in 2000
Chris in Va Beach - Monday, 20 February, 2012, at 11:30:17 pm
my 2000 with 110K has been mechanic free for 11 months....until today. Tried to start it. Starter engaged engine and turned it over then prior to it starting, something seemed to "break free." Starter still spins madly but doesn't seem to be engaging the flywheel. It is a tip, so attempting to turn the flywheel isn't straight forward. Any thoughts??
Re: Starter issue in 2000
dghii - Tuesday, 21 February, 2012, at 3:40:18 pm
If your starter is spinning madly but not engaging the flywheel, you have a bad or stuck starter solenoid. At 12 years old and 110K miles it is simply time to remove and either rebuild or replace the starter. Lots of threads available with instructions and although I have not had to do the work in my car (yet), it doesn't look all that terrible. Good luck!

dghii
2000 Boxster S 6speed 112k miles
How do you now it's "breaking free"?
Boxsterra - Tuesday, 21 February, 2012, at 10:25:20 pm
Did the car start when this happened?

There is a common problem that happens where the starter doesn't disengage properly. It causes an unusual high pitched sound (sometimes referred to as an elephant sound). That problem can be fixed without replacing anything.
Re: How do you now it's "breaking free"?
Chris in Va Beach - Tuesday, 21 February, 2012, at 11:27:07 pm
The "break free" was the sound / feel of what happened as the starter was trying to turn the flywheel and start the car; there was a "give" and then the starter just spun freely without engaging anything further.

I've sure replaced the starter a few times on my old 914s and 911s, but non for many years now. I'm currently about 1000 miles from home 9and tools and shop) so at the mercy of local shops.

A starter that unengaged and would not fully re-engage would do this as would a broken ...bendix. Nearest Porshe dealer is a LONG way away.
Re: How do you now it's "breaking free"?
dghii - Tuesday, 21 February, 2012, at 11:37:45 pm
Too bad you are not home....Rock Auto has a Bosch starter for just over $200. Overnight shipping to VA beach is about $35.....probably about the same to wherever you are at. Maybe there's a local shop that can perform the labor.

Best of luck.

dghii
2000 Boxster S 6speed 112k miles
It's the starter
Chris in Va Beach - Thursday, 23 February, 2012, at 12:08:24 am
Nothing more than a dead starter. Easy fix, and no more worry than a rental car for the 3 days it takes to get one up here. But...

Air / oil seperator also clearly bad. Last replaced at 60k, so this will add $$ but not time to the down period.

Bad news is never a single hit.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login