Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
No manual tranny in the 991 GT3?sad smiley
MikenOH - Tuesday, 21 February, 2012, at 9:36:26 pm
[www.motorward.com]

Hmm, this is just preliminary info but if they're offering a choice on the Carrera S, why not on the GT3?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2012 09:39PM by MikenOH. (view changes)
Re: No manual tranny in the 991 GT3?sad smiley
Guenter in Ontario - Tuesday, 21 February, 2012, at 10:55:25 pm
MikenOH
[www.motorward.com]

Hmm, this is just preliminary info but if they're offering a choice on the Carrera S, why not on the GT3?

Sounds like it's one tranny or the other. I'd say that's because of the low numbers sold.

Won't we be long now and we'll have 100% computer driven cars. ...man, I've got to take up texting or something, so I've got something to do while my car is beating your car. (provided I have the better computer programmer) sad smiley
Better than txting in cars of the future
Bobtesa - Monday, 27 February, 2012, at 5:06:34 pm
Just get a driving video game to play while your car takes you where it is programmed to go.
Re: Better than txting in cars of the future
Guenter in Ontario - Monday, 27 February, 2012, at 6:50:35 pm
Bobtesa
Just get a driving video game to play while your car takes you where it is programmed to go.

That's like watching a movie where people are eating while their feeding me intravenously. sad smiley

I never could get into video games. When it comes to driving, I prefer the real thing, so I can feel the feedback of what's happening.
db997S - Wednesday, 22 February, 2012, at 9:08:55 am
Gee, too bad the author didn't let his views be known about his feelings between PDK and manual cars.
MikenOH - Wednesday, 22 February, 2012, at 9:38:42 am
db997S
Gee, too bad the author didn't let his views be known about his feelings between PDK and manual cars.

Yeah, he's definitely in the manual tranny camp.

I can see both sides of this:the manual is more involving, while the PDK will probably make the driver faster on the track--F1 cars, IIRC,have used semi-auto transmissions for quite a while--while still providing a car that can be driven in traffic without drama.

Having said that, some US car companies are starting to add manual transmissions to grab some of the enthusiast market--Buick (of all companies) is offering a 6 spd on the Regal GS with the turbo 4. How many decades has it been since Buick offered a manual transmission?
db997S - Wednesday, 22 February, 2012, at 12:30:56 pm
Not sure if the Buick thing is for enthusiats, or if their car buyers are the only ones around now who know how to drive a stick. The Utes of today, don't learn it anymore as the video games are all push button.
Guenter in Ontario - Wednesday, 22 February, 2012, at 5:46:24 pm
db997S
Not sure if the Buick thing is for enthusiats, or if their car buyers are the only ones around now who know how to drive a stick. The Utes of today, don't learn it anymore as the video games are all push button.

Which also makes the manual an increasingly effective anti-theft device.

Guenter
2014 Boxster S
GT Silver, 6 Speed Manual, Bi-Xenons, Sports Suspension (lowers car 20mm), Porsche Sports Exhaust, Porsche Torque Vectoring, Auto Climate control, heated and vented seats, 20" Carrera S Wheels, Pedro's TechNoWind, Sport Design steering wheel, Roll bars in GT Silver
[www.cyberdesignconcepts.com]
Gary in SoFL - Wednesday, 22 February, 2012, at 5:53:02 pm
True....but sadly a less desirable trade-in.
Guenter in Ontario - Wednesday, 22 February, 2012, at 6:02:19 pm
Gary in SoFL
True....but sadly a less desirable trade-in.

I guess that could be true in the future, but I never buy my cars for the next guy. I want to enjoy them my way. cool smiley
numbers.

Small automakers, like Porsche, do not and thus Porsche needs to extract maximum fuel economy (at least during the EU and EPA fuel economy tests). Hence some models are goign to be PDK only.

Porsche with the PDK (and before it the Tip), has a shift map that 'games' the EU/EPA fuel tests (to some extent). And Porsche is not alone in this.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
MarcW
numbers.

Small automakers, like Porsche, do not and thus Porsche needs to extract maximum fuel economy (at least during the EU and EPA fuel economy tests). Hence some models are goign to be PDK only.

Porsche with the PDK (and before it the Tip), has a shift map that 'games' the EU/EPA fuel tests (to some extent). And Porsche is not alone in this.

Sincerely,

MarcW.

Marc:
Are the actual fleet CAFE numbers (and any assessed penalties) averaged over what he actual mix is of manuals/auto transmission sold?
From Wiki "it is the sales-weighted harmonic mean fuel economy, expressed in miles per US gallon, of a manufacturer's fleet of current model year passenger cars and light trucks with a gross vehicle weight rating of 8500 pounds. or less, manufactured for sale in the US".

Currently the penalty for failing to meet this goal is $5.50 per 0.1mpg under the standard, multiplied by the automaker's total production for the US domestic market. There's a gas guzzler tax applied to car models (but not trucks, vans, minivans, or SUVs (who says USA automakers can't lobby?) that get less than 22.5 mpg.

Oh, wait, a change in 2011: I'll not quote Wiki directly but the new standard is based on a vehicle's size, determined by multiplying the vehicle's wheelbase by its average track width. A vehicle with a bigger footprint has a lower fuel economy requirement than a vehicle with a smaller footprint.

Say hello to ever bigger/heavier/more powerful vehicles... Geesh. (Now this might explain when the new 911 got a longer wheel base...)

Wiki gives two examples: A Honda Fit (I won't take the time to type in the footprint sizes) must obtain 36mpg (CAFE number); the published number is 27mpg; while a Ford F-150 only need obtain 22mpg (CAFE number), the published number being 17mpg.

Words fail me.

Here's the link in case you want more details:

[en.wikipedia.org]

Sincerely,

MarcW.
MarcW
From Wiki "it is the sales-weighted harmonic mean fuel economy, expressed in miles per US gallon, of a manufacturer's fleet of current model year passenger cars and light trucks with a gross vehicle weight rating of 8500 pounds. or less, manufactured for sale in the US".

Oh, wait, a change in 2011: I'll not quote Wiki directly but the new standard is based on a vehicle's size, determined by multiplying the vehicle's wheelbase by its average track width. A vehicle with a bigger footprint has a lower fuel economy requirement than a vehicle with a smaller footprint.

Say hello to ever bigger/heavier/more powerful vehicles... Geesh. (Now this might explain when the new 911 got a longer wheel base...)

Words fail me.
MarcW.

Add in the automatic tranny's ability for getting higher mileage numbers in the EPA driving cycles, with a longer WB and wider track of the 991 and you've got a great formula for keeping the 911 in the good graces of EPA types.
By all of the accounts I've read, the 991 is better than than the 997.1 and .2-- in many ways--but have to wonder how much all these regs help dictate the direction car designers take when start designing a new model.
This is one reason why car makers are rushing to design/build the connected vehicle.

Car makers are all seeking to establish themselves as a leader in this area. It is the one area that is pretty much unregulated. Though there is the likelihood it will be regulated sooner rather than later.

The other thing that can happen is as car makers see the USA market shrink and become more isolated more or stricter requirements/regulations growing markets -- China for one -- will start to dictate car design.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login