Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Spark Plug Tubes
ericp - Tuesday, 21 February, 2012, at 9:54:01 pm
So while my car was in the shop today getting the motor mount replaced the techs advised me that there is some oil around (some) of the spark plug tubes and they recommend replacing them. My question is do you guys replaced them when replacing plugs, or just the o-rings? I am going to be replacing the plugs soon and so I should do this at that time. I hate being told to buy things I don't neccessarily need.

Thanks,
-Eric
Replace when doing the spark plugs
Boxsterra - Tuesday, 21 February, 2012, at 10:22:56 pm
Chances are only a few are leaking. Get a few tubes and sets of o-rings so that you can replace the leaking ones when you are in there. Chances are the tubes are fine and that the problem is just the o-rings but the tubes are cheap so it's best to just get new tubes.

Instructions w/pictures here:
[pedrosgarage.com]
Re: Replace when doing the spark plugs
Chicago KC - Thursday, 26 April, 2012, at 7:49:09 pm
Thanks for publishing this informative site, I was told the same thing about slowly leaking cam shaft covers during a free inspection event at a local dealer, they want $2700 to fix the cam covers but considering I do my own work I was just going to dig in; however spark plugs were already on my list before the local dealer event and figured I'd try the plug tubes first (thanks for mentioning it in the plug & tube change instructions!). I do have one question though, I've seen another site mentioning the need for assembly grease for the spark plug tube o-rings, of course they're also selling the stuff, however both Bentley and this site advise just using oil on the o-rings before installing, which I would've done anyway. Any thoughts on the pros or cons beyond another forty-some dollars added to the bill? Thanks again.
Re: Spark Plug Tubes
ericp - Tuesday, 21 February, 2012, at 10:50:11 pm
Thanks, good advice as always smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login