Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
I had my 08 12K service done at Talyor Chapman's near Dulles airport. He opened his shop 6 months ago, seems to have a lot of early (older) 911s he works on during the winter. I was very satisfied with the thoroughness of the work he and his lift partner, Andrew, did with my car. I don't know Taylor other than meeting him today and certainly have no financial interest in his shop. My endorsement is my own. I live in MD, about 40 minute drive, but after my experience today, I plan on taking my car there for service.

I raised the IMS topic with them. A few thoughts in no particular order:

They have installed many LN IMS replacements. They are very happy with the product and support from LN.

They are aware of the many IMS failures and recommend replacing the IMS with the clutch. They have replaced a few IMSs which were on the verge of breaking (apparently one came apart as they removed it.) They say clutches last about 60K, but I think others here have run theirs much much longer and I would expect to also.

Folks should go to the LN site for details and I have not checked this, but Andrew said if the LN IMS fails, LN will cover the cost of replacing the engine. They were not sure, but they think this warranty is transferable, which would help for resale. Talyor takes great care to document LN IMS installations with paperwork and pics.

Andrew says, as I knew, that the Porsches IMSs (all 3 versions) are closed/sealed units for lube, but the LN IMS is open and gets lube (oil) from general oil flow. Also, the ball bearing are ceramic (?), not metal, and this is supposedly far superior. (I think this is all discussed on Jake's site.)

In their experience, they have seen more failures with the 1st Porsche IMS, fewer with the 2nd, and only heard of failures with the 3rd generation Porsche IMS. But of course, each successive iteration is newer and driven less to date, so who knows what happens with more time.

My faulty memory tells me that I have read here that installing the LN IMS in the 3rd IMS generation Boxsters (2006-08) required taking the engine apart, and hence much more work and expense. This is not needed with the 1st and 2nd IMS versions. They say not so. In 2006-08 Boxsters an LN IMS can be installed in the same manner.

I don't mean to get a whole IMS debate going all over again. I just want to pass on information to other boarders and I trust you will correct anything I have said here.

1999 Arctic Sivler/black/black (sold)
2008s Silver/black/black - so predictable
2011 Outback
8/24/2011 first Grandson
Correction about LN IMS warranty
Bobtesa - Thursday, 23 February, 2012, at 8:42:51 am
I wrote that the folks as Taylor Chapman said LN will cover engine replacement if their IMS retrofit fails. I got a PM saying this was probably not the case. I read, as well as I could, the fine print at LN. They warranty their part, but nothing about the ramifications of what happens to an engine if their part fails.
Bob:
Interesting info.

So, for all us 2006-08 Boxster owners, we can have the IMS removed without pulling the engine and splitting the cases?
That's good news, for sure, but I'd like to get some details on how they get that bearing out if the OD is larger than the opening in the case.
Could you check with them on the details?
Yes, need to correct this too about 2006-08 IMS replacements
Bobtesa - Thursday, 23 February, 2012, at 9:21:55 am
MIke, thanks for pointing this out, sorry not so good news. I should have posted this too from the LN site, "If the engine was made for MY06 or later, it will have the late revision, larger IMS bearing which is not serviceable without complete disassembly of the engine."
How are the prices at that Indy...I hangout nearby as well
Kimo - Thursday, 23 February, 2012, at 3:43:51 pm
Bob - really appreciate your feedback on that Indy. I've considered going there as an alternative to the rip-off prices at the dealerships in DC. I've also pondered on the IMS upgrade...thanks for the info.
Re: How are the prices at that Indy...I hangout nearby as well
Bobtesa - Thursday, 23 February, 2012, at 5:24:42 pm
I thought their prices were very reasonable. I don't want to give out prices, that might not be fair to them, but give them a call or email. I found email worked very well with Taylor. I asked for a price for the oil change before committing and he provided the price, so ask him.

btw, I wrote to Taylor about the 2 IMS issues that I thought he had wrong. One wasn't really wrong, I think they knew but forgot about needing to break down the 06+ engines for IMS work. They haven't done any of these so, they may just not have remembered. He is going to check out LN's warranty policy. He appreciated that I passed on (what is probably) correct information on that issue.

Bottom line for me, as I said, I plan to take my car there even though it is 40 miles each way and I need to wait while the work is done.
Re: How are the prices at that Indy...I hangout nearby as well
MikenOH - Thursday, 23 February, 2012, at 5:56:50 pm
Bobtesa
I thought their prices were very reasonable. I don't want to give out prices, that might not be fair to them, but give them a call or email. I found email worked very well with Taylor. I asked for a price for the oil change before committing and he provided the price, so ask him.

btw, I wrote to Taylor about the 2 IMS issues that I thought he had wrong. One wasn't really wrong, I think they knew but forgot about needing to break down the 06+ engines for IMS work. They haven't done any of these so, they may just not have remembered. He is going to check out LN's warranty policy. He appreciated that I passed on (what is probably) correct information on that issue.

Bottom line for me, as I said, I plan to take my car there even though it is 40 miles each way and I need to wait while the work is done.

One thing I like about small, independent shops is that the guy working on your car either owns or is part owner of the business, so he has a vested interest in making sure you'll be happy with the work. In a big dealership, you may or may not get the same mechanic every time, so the ability and conscientiousness of the work may not be consistent. Add to that the write up people--but that's another story..
another Boarder recommended his shop with high marks as well. This Boader helped me out with my airbag warning light reset, for free, so I'm sure his kudos to Taylor is sound and from experience.
Taylor is good
Chris in Va Beach - Thursday, 23 February, 2012, at 11:54:12 pm
I no longer live in DC having moved to the Seattle area last summer. Taylor took care of my 2000 Boxster for the duration of my time there. I couldn't recommend him more highly. In addition to being good at what he does, he genuinely loves the cars and is great to work with.

I didn't go for the updated IMB kit last summer when I had a tip rebuild; not because I didn't want to or think I should, I simply ran out of money after the tranny failure. Do it if you can.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login