Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
I routinely change my brake pads on my 06 Boxster. Well I offered to change my friend's brake pads. My pistons dont have the backing plate attached to them so it didnt occur to me that his would either as we have the same model car. Well I sheared the backing plate off where it attaches to the piston with my putty knife. (I normally have to put tap the putty knife in to free up the pad from the piston)

What problem have I caused??? I didnt see any fluid leakage immediately. I didnt damage the rubber portion of the piston.

Front brakes only on one side ( I made sure to pay better attention on the other side)
Just remove the part that's left in the piston.
You can leave the plate off or reinstall a new one.
No damage was done.
Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Thanks alot Pedro. Always great info here.
simplify assembly. You can do without it IMNSHO, or put it back on. Just get it square.

While you are in there, clean all the brake dust from the pistons so it doesn't form cement!

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login