Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Mark your calendars for March 6th
Guenter in Ontario - Tuesday, 28 February, 2012, at 5:46:22 pm
Should be quite an introduction for the Boxster.

[www.porsche.com]
... and March 7th
Burg Boxster - Tuesday, 28 February, 2012, at 6:40:36 pm
so you can get the new app to drive it winking smiley smileys with beer grinning smiley

[www.bloomberg.com]
Ergonomics
Roger987 - Tuesday, 28 February, 2012, at 7:38:52 pm
Looked at the new 991 at the dealer's after hours last weekend, but didn't sit in it.

The new console certainly seems to 'present' the shift lever at a significantly higher position than in the 997/987. It's a far cry from resembling an Alfa shifter-sticking-out-of-the-dash, but still....

Is it possible that Porsche has designed the console/shift lever ergonomics with PDK in mind? (i.e. fewer and fewer people rowing their own)
Re: Ergonomics
Guenter in Ontario - Tuesday, 28 February, 2012, at 7:57:23 pm
Roger987
Looked at the new 991 at the dealer's after hours last weekend, but didn't sit in it.

The new console certainly seems to 'present' the shift lever at a significantly higher position than in the 997/987. It's a far cry from resembling an Alfa shifter-sticking-out-of-the-dash, but still....

Is it possible that Porsche has designed the console/shift lever ergonomics with PDK in mind? (i.e. fewer and fewer people rowing their own)

That is my fear. eye rolling smiley

Any dealership websites I've visited have only 981's with PDK's coming in.

Hope Pedro's working on a hack to to whittle that shifter down. ....still, I'll have to wait and see. You can't tell for sure until you sit in it.
of each of the improvements introduced in the last 10 years and was surprised at the impact of the dual clutch transmission.

You can expect more and more cars to go for it to help meet the standards and because fewer and fewer drivers can drive a stick..my 30 year-olds can't.
Must be
Laz - Tuesday, 28 February, 2012, at 8:00:36 pm
I can't see how there's any linkage advantage having it farther forward and up from the transmission.
Re: Must be
Guenter in Ontario - Tuesday, 28 February, 2012, at 10:35:11 pm
Laz
I can't see how there's any linkage advantage having it farther forward and up from the transmission.

The only reason for the higher location of the shifter that makes any sense is that it's closer to the wheel.

I know I love the shifter where it is on my 987, along with the short shift kit, I think it's PERFECT.

However, I'll reserve judgement (and cross my fingers, toes and eyes) until I can actually drive one.
D'accord.
Laz - Wednesday, 29 February, 2012, at 12:32:03 am
Which is why I mentioned it with reference to Alfa Romeos.
Please comment on the short shifter
Bobtesa - Wednesday, 29 February, 2012, at 8:54:45 am
I haven't written about this, but here goes. I am not as happy with the tranny in my 6-speed 2008 987 as I was with my 5-speed 1999.

I don't like the gear spacing. Now with more hp, I'd rather have 5 speeds or better spacing for gears 4-6; 1, 2, and 3 are nice. It would be perfect as a 5-speed, just take out 5th. So, 1 through 3 have great spacing and pull hard to 92 mph, 4th would take it nicely higher (I've on had it to 120, but don't where top is in 4th), and 6th would basically be like an overdrive. Maybe 5th is more useful on the autobahn and on tracks, but for American roads, I find it isn't really needed.

Also, I thought it was just gong from the 5 speed to the 6, but more and more I just think the 987 gear box is a little, what's the word?, in-distinctive. Sometimes I am not entirely sure where the stick goes for the next shift. This is only for the "middle" gears 3 and 4. That is, middle of the double H. It is never a problem for in-sequence shifts -- 2nd to 3rd, or 3r to 4th, but more like when I want to downshift from 6th to 3rd, or 5ht or 6th to 4th. Does anyone else sense this inexactness of where to go? So, the purpose of my post is to ask, Does the short-shifter improve the sense of location for each gear?

Thanks, Bob

1999 Arctic Sivler/black/black (sold)
2008s Silver/black/black - so predictable
2011 Outback
8/24/2011 first Grandson
Re: Please comment on the short shifter
Guenter in Ontario - Wednesday, 29 February, 2012, at 10:47:48 am
I can't say just how the short shifter would feel with the 6 speed since I have the 5 speed tranny in mine.

What it does do is shorten the throw. (The first couple of times I drove it after the conversion, when I flicked it back into neutral while sitting at a light, I actually had it in second.)

The throws are more precise and just feel better. Just a flick of your fingers gets you from 1st into 2nd and 3rd into 4th. I seldomly skip a gear when I up or down shift. I would just see having the extra gear to be able to have one more choice as to which gear I want to use for a particular situation.
Bobtesa - Wednesday, 29 February, 2012, at 11:34:36 am
"I seldomly skip a gear when I up or down shift. I would just see having the extra gear to be able to have one more choice as to which gear I want to use for a particular situation."

That is true. But, if the gearing is too close, then it is more a choice in name, not so much in function. If you are driving the 5 speed, it is not an issue. If you drive the S with 6 speeds, it is more obvious.

You seldom skip gears going down? What do you do coming off a highway at 70 mph in 5th to a tight exit ramp at 20 mph? I may go from 6th to 2nd (after braking to an appropriate speed for 2nd and, of course, equalizing rpms.) Or, a better example that makes the point about the 6 speed gearing, If I am cruising at 65 in 6th (about 2,800), going to 5th gets me to about 3,400 (still not in the car's wheel house), so I go to either 4th, or if I really want some power to 3rd at about 4,500 -- right in the power zone from which it can zip to 90. Again, making 5th gear kind of irrelevant.
Guenter in Ontario - Wednesday, 29 February, 2012, at 11:55:56 am
I see your point about having the gears spaced too closely. It would mean more shifting, no doubt.

As far as highway speeds to ramps, I don't recall hitting very many 20 mph ramps. I guess I haven't hit very many that tight. Generally, I'll slow and downshift and do it a second time if necessary and I guess for a REALLY tight turn, it would mean one more downshift. At least that would minimize the possibility of over-reving the engine on the downshifts.
I'd prefer a well ratio'd 5.
Laz - Wednesday, 29 February, 2012, at 11:24:50 am
A reviewer some years back mentioned having to change gears for a certain type of corner that he wouldn't've otherwise.

Minus 40 degrees... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login