Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Best year to upgrade to? I've got an '02
tom coughlin - Tuesday, 28 February, 2012, at 9:32:53 pm
I'm starting to think about upgrading from my '02 to a newer Boxster. Let's assume that I go up at least five years which would get me to an '07 or newer.

I know the '05 was somewhat of an update year, but I have not followed the various improvements over the years. Are there any important annual changes that I want to be aware of, let's say for example the '03 that got rid of the plastic rear window? And, no I'm not waiting for the 2013!
To me the big changes are the early-build '05 new body, old engine and the '09 roughly same body as the '05 but new engine.

Some model year differences are here but I stopped maintaining the list as of the '07 model year.
Re: Best year to upgrade to? I've got an '02
db997S - Wednesday, 29 February, 2012, at 8:51:24 am
To me, there's no question, any 2009 or later that you can find. It will cost more, but no IMS to worry about, which could make it cheaper in the long haul if you put in the LN fix or, gasp, a new engine if the IMS goes. Plus, you'll still have some warranty left on it. The down side, there are fewer out there due to the coming 981 and financial crisis, so prices maybe higher. When I was looking in Nov. of 2009, dealers were not moving much on the price of a new Boxster. I got a greater percentage off my 2002 S MSRP that I purchased new, then they were giving in Nov. 2009 off of 2009 Boxsters. Odd, you had boom time and steeper discount, crash and less discount. Overall, I think the tighter supply of Boxsters built will help in the long haul for their resale value. Think they pumped too many out in the earlier part of this century.
Recall that
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC - Wednesday, 29 February, 2012, at 1:13:58 pm
the allotment for North America was cut around that time. Artificial scarcity to drive up actual sale prices vs list.
tom coughlin
I'm starting to think about upgrading from my '02 to a newer Boxster. Let's assume that I go up at least five years which would get me to an '07 or newer.

I know the '05 was somewhat of an update year, but I have not followed the various improvements over the years. Are there any important annual changes that I want to be aware of, let's say for example the '03 that got rid of the plastic rear window? And, no I'm not waiting for the 2013!

That said though I did buy an 08 Cayman S. The last of the 987 model run with the pre-DFI engine.

If you wanted a DFI engine in your next Boxster/Cayman then I would think the 2nd year on from when the DFI engine was introduced into the Boxster/Cayman line would be a good starting point.

MarcW.
To me, its simple...
grant - Thursday, 1 March, 2012, at 1:10:39 pm
either get a 2009+ with the IMS-less, direct injected motor, or keep your 2002 and put a (very, relaitvely speaking) few bucks in it.

I constantly choose to put my money into driving events and maintenance, not a new car that's pretty much the same as the old car.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Andy from Newport - Monday, 5 March, 2012, at 11:03:08 pm
For what it's worth, I would drive different model years. It's all about personal preferences, but I thought the "feel" of the car changed significantly from 2009 onwards. The 2008 seemed to have a much more sports car feel and ride. Thereafter it seems as if it is evolving more to a grand touring type of feel and ride. Take a test drive or two and see what you think.
Tino - Wednesday, 7 March, 2012, at 2:13:34 pm
Another vote for a 2009 or newer, for two reasons: no IMS and updated PCM. You also have a choice of DFI engine (the S model) or non-DFI (the base car). I have had a '97. an '01, and now a '12, and I have to say that the '12 is the "sportier" feeling Boxster by a good margin. To each his own, so as others have said, drive the cars and take your pick.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login