Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Independent Mechanics and Maintenance
Flat Six - Wednesday, 29 February, 2012, at 9:35:17 am
Hey all,
I have a 2008 Boxster, Porsche certified until 2015. Is there any problem with the warranty if I take it to an independent shop to do maintenance work? You don't have to go to the dealer, right?
I am thinking of going to one of the people in the PCA in my region, they specialize in Porsche so they should know what they are doing.
Re: Independent Mechanics and Maintenance
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC - Wednesday, 29 February, 2012, at 1:11:42 pm
It is illegal for the manufacturer to require you to go to their dealer for maintenance during the warranty period. You don't even have to go to a mechanic. But you better have well documented records of doing the required services on time and with approved parts to make a warranty claim if you don't.

One argument for going to the dealer is that there have been rare cases where going to a dealer who sold the car and had serviced it and the owner has records of all that has proved beneficial in a slightly out of warranty situation. The dealer can (but doesn't always) go to bat for the owner and gets some special consideration on the price of the repair. Since you have a 2008, you may want to consider this.

Everyone must make their own decision on the expense versus the possibility of reward.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login