Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Dear Porsche, Marketing opportunity
Bobtesa - Friday, 2 March, 2012, at 4:22:39 pm
Like some of you other relics on the board, for me part of the fun of driving a roadster is "rowing the gears", as some one here nicely described it. I think I heard on a car show or read it somewhere that Porsche is really pushing the 911s to have pdk. It is probably only a matter of time before manual transmissions of the antique type, with a clutch that requires a foot, will no longer be made. I for one hope that never happens, but progress is progress. (I got rid of my Olivetti last year smiling smiley. So, Porsche, if you want to see a nice increase in Boxster sales, please let us know a year in advance when traditional manual trannys will NOT be offered. My guess is that the last year of the old style manual, if known in advance, will bring some buyers out of the woodwork.

1999 Arctic Sivler/black/black (sold)
2008s Silver/black/black - so predictable
2011 Outback
8/24/2011 first Grandson
Re: Dear Porsche, Marketing opportunity
Guenter in Ontario - Friday, 2 March, 2012, at 7:48:05 pm
Bobtesa
Like some of you other relics on the board, for me part of the fun of driving a roadster is "rowing the gears", as some one here nicely described it. I think I heard on a car show or read it somewhere that Porsche is really pushing the 911s to have pdk. It is probably only a matter of time before manual transmissions of the antique type, with a clutch that requires a foot, will no longer be made. I for one hope that never happens, but progress is progress. (I got rid of my Olivetti last year smiling smiley. So, Porsche, if you want to see a nice increase in Boxster sales, please let us know a year in advance when traditional manual trannys will NOT be offered. My guess is that the last year of the old style manual, if known in advance, will bring some buyers out of the woodwork.

I don't know whether to smiling smiley

or sad smiley

But, you're right. Some drivers take joy in making that crisp up shift, feeling the clutch bite and the seat push into your back as you conduct the orchestra. Or that perfectly executed down shift, the snick, snick of the gear change. power on and out of the turn.

Some just prefer to sit back and listen to the music on the iPad/phone/CD.
of the manual transmission option they are the people that buy cars.

The majority of cars now are PDK cars and these appear to be selling quite well.

If you want to keep your beloved manual transmission option convince people to stop buying the ones with a PDK transmission.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
I'm afraid there is no convincing to do. The younger crowd that ages into the market won't have the nostalgia, and they are more attuned to what is hot in their life time. In this case paddle shifters. There is really nothing wrong with the change, it is just a change in appetites along with some very good technology. I imagine that a current 18 year old who becomes a car nut and watches F1 racing with paddle shifters will become the next Porsche Club DE'er with PDK.
That's true, also hard to
DougW - Friday, 2 March, 2012, at 11:42:12 pm
text message, check email, talk on cell phone, and drink a big gulp while working a stick, another reason that more people will move towards an auto
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login