Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Dry sump on the 981
MikenOH - Saturday, 10 March, 2012, at 8:40:12 pm
From the new brochure of the 981 apparently a dry sump will be incorporated, but it will be within the engine.
Does anyone know where this dry sump will fit in the engine?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2012 08:40PM by MikenOH. (view changes)
engine IIRC was touted as having an 'integrated dry sump' which of course meant the oil tank was just a sump to which oil was routed and held in ready around the oil pump pickup tube.

'course, the 981 engine might actually get a real dry sump (like the Turbo/GT2/GT3 engines) in which case the engine should have an external oil tank.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
MarcW
engine IIRC was touted as having an 'integrated dry sump' which of course meant the oil tank was just a sump to which oil was routed and held in ready around the oil pump pickup tube.

'course, the 981 engine might actually get a real dry sump (like the Turbo/GT2/GT3 engines) in which case the engine should have an external oil tank.

Sincerely,

MarcW.

Thanks for the reply, Marc.
Since the Boxster brochure mentioned the fact that there was no need for an external tank to hold the oil--"which saves weight and space"--it sounds like more like the system that was used on the 986 and 987, rather than the TT and GT3 motors.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2012 05:55PM by MikenOH. (view changes)
than the 'dry sump' system used in the Turbo and GT2/3 engines. An external oil tank requires more hoses/tubes/connections any one of which could leak.

Also, with an external oil tank the oil drain procedure is a bit more involved: The crankcase and oil tank must both be drained. Two drain plugs requires 2 new seal rings. (The Turbo has two turbo oil collectors too that should be drained, though I've seen only a few tablespoons of oil drain from these tanks.)

Besides that oil tank -- I have pics of a Turbo engine out of a car with the oil tank still attached -- is 'huge' and heavy. Thickwalled stainless steel and bolted to the car/engine like you wouldn't believe.

(The factory oil change procedure calls for when loosening or tightening the tank oil drain plug to counter the twisting forces using a wrench on the tank drain spout that has wrench flats specially for this. The techs do not do this, just giving the oil drain wrench a quick whack. I asked about this and they told me they've never seen an oil tank bracket/tank crack. But they also told me they do this with cars that they have serviced and know the oil drain plug was torqued down just right.)

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login