Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
... all 3 reviewers do not like the new e-steering. I wasn't going to test drive a 2013, but I may now just to see what they are talking about. It may make me that much happier to keep my 987 for many years to come.
Re: Three 2013 Boxster "driven" reviews
Guenter in Ontario - Sunday, 11 March, 2012, at 9:13:54 pm
Sounds like the electic power steering takes a bit of getting used to, but in the long run seems to help handling. I guess one of those things you have to test yourself to see how it feels.

A bit of a sigh of relief, Piston Heads review said they really like the manual, no mention of anything awkward. C&D comment on the short shift was also a bit of welcome news. Just hope their definition of short is the same as mine.

It sure will be interesting to drive one. Sounds like that's going to be sometime this summer.
Steering and Manual transmission
Roger987 - Monday, 12 March, 2012, at 10:24:45 am
From everything I've read, Porsche's electric steering is fine. Yes, a small bit of road 'texture' feel has been removed, but steering feel remains intact. One effect of the former is to reduce driver fatigue on long drives. The difference is felt most when driving the two types back-to-back. Apparently, one adapts quickly, and happily, to the electric steering. It seems that Porsche got it right, unlike, unfortunately, BMW in the current 5 series.

As Guenter points out, the 981's manual shifter has received positive reviews. I was concerned its ergonomics may have suffered at the expense of a new console designed predominately with PDK in mind.

It seems inevitable that, at some point, manual transmissions will go the way of the Dodo bird. But the Boxster is likely a few model years away from that.
Re: Steering and Manual transmission (edited)
Laz - Monday, 12 March, 2012, at 11:42:20 am
It might be a bit of wishful thinking being that I've got one on order, but that's my interpretation of what the reviews have so far said. It seems the trade-off is less textured feel vs. an even better ability to plant the car more exactly where the driver wants to. Less driver fatigue is also appealing, as I intend to take transcontinental trips and other long drives. It's hard to imagine Porsche screwing this up. One article had a comment from some guy about his Cobalt's electric steering and it's fine... helluva reference from our point of view, though! Reminds me of the blind man/sunset analogy.
Also, the steering has an intriguing feature called "μ-split steering torque" that helps keep the car stable when braking on varying road surfaces.

The shifter doesn't look to be as super high as in the Carrera GT. When at the dealer, I neglected to sit in a 991 to see how it feels. Instead, I was preoccupied with the salesman showing me how nice the new drink holders are. My fault though, as my head tends to spin when I'm in a Porsche showroom.

Just read that "μ" indicates coefficient of friction.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2012 11:49AM by Laz. (view changes)
I know it's some sort of boosted variable steering, supposedly making low-speed cornering and parking easier for older drivers like G-Man winking smiley

What's the real story?
Oh, electric steering CAN be done poorly
Roger987 - Monday, 12 March, 2012, at 12:34:05 pm
Take a brief walk though any of the 5 series (2011 onward) message boards, and you'll find that, with its electric steering, BMW has taken a step backward (for now).

[www.caranddriver.com]
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2012 12:43PM by Laz. (view changes)
I'm relieved Porsche appears to have got the electric steering more right than wrong. I anticipate there will be some who prefer the 987's steering as more 'involving'.
I still want one.... *NM*
Motobob - Monday, 12 March, 2012, at 6:39:06 pm
G-Man is Busted... AGAIN !!!
Roger987 - Tuesday, 13 March, 2012, at 11:25:34 am
A few quotes:

"Few automakers make their wares look so similar while causing the outgoing model to look so dated."

"The electro-hydraulic steering lightens up at lower speeds and gets chatty once you're over 50 km/h, providing nearly as much feedback through your palms as its predecessor."

"For a vehicle like the Boxster, the PDK feels right. The manual simply feels righter. 'Ring times be damned."

"Before climbing on the plane to head back home to Canada, I made one last phone call, to reassure my friend in Kitchener, Ontario, that he did the right thing when he placed his order a couple months ago... "
grinning smiley grinning smiley grinning smiley Roger, you have an uncanny ability to
Guenter in Ontario - Tuesday, 13 March, 2012, at 11:53:17 am
read between the imaginary lines. grinning smiley

Roger987
A few quotes:

"Before climbing on the plane to head back home to Canada, I made one last phone call, to reassure my friend in Kitchener, Ontario, that he did the right thing when he placed his order a couple months ago... "
Electro-hydraulic?
Laz - Tuesday, 13 March, 2012, at 11:55:26 am
Also, taking into account the warm cast of the images, the pictured car looks like Agate Grey Metallic, my color choice. A clue is the gray interior, which wouldn't go well with Mahogany.
Laz, I thought that might be your colour
Roger987 - Tuesday, 13 March, 2012, at 12:39:56 pm
It looks great, and given Porsche chose it for one of its press fleet cars, it must think so too.

Strong-looking colour.
Color contemplations
Laz - Tuesday, 13 March, 2012, at 2:52:40 pm
No. Blue top and Yachting Blue interior. (Well, la-dee-da!) My 01 was Seal Grey Metallic/Metropol Blue/Metropol Blue. When I picked up the car, my sales guy admitted he didn't think much of the combination until my car was delivered, and then he ordered the same combination for his wife's car. Platinum's touch of warmth might be problematical with blue, although the contrast would be desirable. A gray interior would be nice, but I considered the additional reflectivity from inside the windshield, and I wasn't about to go for the full leather, duotone interior expense. Black would be just a bit hotter than the blue with the top down. Color combinations become very tricky because of the added complication of top color. My 01 choice was based on getting away from silver/black/black, and I called my combination "Wagnerian:" blue sky and roiling gray clouds. For what it's worth, I want(ed) to project an air of elegance, something I could use more of! Oh, and for whatever eventual top fade occurs, it would look more tolerable as a blue than as a black.
For those of you who haven't looked at the Configurator in about the last week or so, there are now more interior and exterior colors available.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2012 02:53PM by Laz. (view changes)
Re: Color contemplations
Gary in SoFL - Tuesday, 13 March, 2012, at 3:13:54 pm
Sounds stunning!
Thanks! *NM*
Laz - Tuesday, 13 March, 2012, at 3:22:36 pm
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login