Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Prague visit + Porsche report
Jeff (Philly) - Thursday, 15 March, 2012, at 1:17:02 pm
I just returned from a week visit in Prague. It is a beautiful city that was not bombed in WWII. It has a large medieval castle which is still used for government operations. The center city is made up of many old churches an other historic structures separated by cobblestone streets and squares. This is all overlayed by a very modern metro and tram system. The Czech traditional food is great, I was stuffed with goulash, duck, rabbit, etc. with dumplings the whole time we were there. Prague is also home to Pilsner and is a beer drinkers paradise. The prices are cheap for lodging, food and drink compared to the US (we rented a lovely apartment for $50 per night). I highly recommend Prague as a destination.

Porsche Report: I saw several Caymans and 911s. One Panamera and zero Boxsters. On a bus trip on a freeway going north to Terezin (a Nazi concentration camp) I saw a Porsche dealership that adhered to the appearance that Porsche must dictate to all dealers worldwide.
Re: Prague visit + Porsche report
db997S - Thursday, 15 March, 2012, at 2:41:24 pm
agree on Prague. My wife and I went there several years ago. Did you have any Budvar, which is brewed by Budweiser, while you were there? No, not our Bud, but the original Budweiser that they've been brewing for more than 250 years. They can't sell it in the States due to copyright. Go figure, they began first under that name, but can trade on it here.

I didn't see any Porsches when I was there, but we stayed only three nights as part of our larger travel plans--St. Petersburg, Moscow, Prague, Krakow and Vienna.
boxsterd - Thursday, 15 March, 2012, at 2:53:19 pm
I had the Budvar when I was in Prague around 10 years ago. Lightest beer I've ever had. Like water. I liked it.
the original czech budweiser? or the american anheiser-busch stuff? i can't see the former, which is a pilsner style beer, being anything like a lager, even an excellent lager. just curious.

a lot of companies in europe are moving their IT and accounting departments to prague to try and reduce costs. two companies that i've worked for in the past have done it. both had limited success in achieving the cost savings objectives of project. they start off with ex-pats living in prague for one or two years to get the ball rolling. but then they find that the cheaper labour force is not qualified and have to hire more expensive people which entirely negates any hoped for cost savings. it actually increases costs in other areas as "joe in accounting" is no longer down the hall but on the other side of europe. from the contacts i have, many companies are regretting the move.

--
MY 2000 S, Ocean Blue, Metropol Blue, Savanah Beige.
Bought June 2000 - Sold May 2010
Jeff (Philly) - Thursday, 15 March, 2012, at 10:04:36 pm
I had a private email from someone on the board (see below) and I thought I would share my reply in case others might also be interested.

Cost?

The flight was on frequent flier rewards. The apartment was $50 per night. I spent around $500 on meals, transport etc for the seven days. The Opera (walking distance from the apartment) was not as opulent as Budapest or Vienna but still very nice and the seats were $5, high up on the side (we saw Madam Butterfly). It was $30 each way to be driven to and from the airport by the apartment manager, Vladimir (nice guy). Below is the link to the Museum Apartment which was great and located in a good location between the Museum Metro (downhill from the apartment) and the IP Pavlova Metro (uphill from the apartment). Use the first going out and the second coming home so as to not strain yourself climbing hills. The National Museum is closed until 2014 if I recall correctly. The IP Povlova station (two blocks from the apartment) also is a stop for tram 22 that takes you to the castle and monastery etc. on the left bank or the 'Lesser Town' side of the Vltava River. The antique garnet ring for my wife's birthday cost extra. Garnet is a local item you should look at but not buy in center city shops. The apartment I believe is booked most of the time so advanced planning is necessary. I had no problems there but based on other reports of pick pockets I used a body money belt for passports and credit cards. We went to metro station Nadrazi Holesvice to catch a bus at bus station #7 to get a ride to Terezin (concentration camp) by buying a ticket from the bus driver. We learned from others that you should buy a bus ticket in advance (at the Florenc metro station) or you may not get on the bus going there, worse is that you may not get on a bus going back to Prague without a pre-purchased ticket. The Prague Market at tram stop Prazska trznice was a good place to visit, buy [luggage, clothes,] cheese, bread, beer, sausage, fruit and go home for a picnic.

Prague is great. I would love to live there.

Apartment
[www.holiday-rentals.co.uk]

-----------------------------------------

Jeff,
Would you mind sharing your Prague itinerary including the apartment name and address.
Also ballpark total cost breakdown would be helpful.
Thanks,

Jeff Benson:

2016 Boxster, See it here: www.greatvalleyhouse.com/Boxster

First car: 1952 Hudson Hornet

First roadster: 1962 Austin Healy 3000 III

Still have: Computer free 1974 MGB

Previous Porsches since 1982: 924, 944, 944S, and four Boxsters; 97, 03, 08 & 2012
boxsterd - Friday, 16 March, 2012, at 12:48:58 pm
Be sure to visit the Pilsner Urquell brewery/restaurant. It was my favorite place to eat.
Here is a link to a one hour video I made of our trip to Prague.
[www.youtube.com]
The video is organized in the order we saw the sights. Below is a high level sequence.
The background music is from a local CD I bought entitled “Moravian Echoes”.

Wenceslas Square
First visit to Old Town
Charles Bridge across the Vltava River
Lesser Town
Second trip to Old Town including
The Old-New Synagogue in the Jewish Quarter
Striking of the hour by the Old Town Hall Clock
The Prague Castle (Nearly 15 minutes of the tape)
Tram Ride to the Strahov Monastery
Strahov Monastery
The Prague Opera
Terezin (concentration camp)
The Loreto
Our Apartment

Jeff Benson:

2016 Boxster, See it here: www.greatvalleyhouse.com/Boxster

First car: 1952 Hudson Hornet

First roadster: 1962 Austin Healy 3000 III

Still have: Computer free 1974 MGB

Previous Porsches since 1982: 924, 944, 944S, and four Boxsters; 97, 03, 08 & 2012

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2012 03:10PM by Jeff (Philly). (view changes)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login