Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
It's been a long time since my car has seen rain, but I remember it being unflappable. Since the last time in rain, I've installed a new rear spoiler, and put some miles on the car. Couple weeks ago, I was at work, it started raining, and had to drive the car home in the rain. She was a handful, I thought it might have something to due with the cold temps, or maybe the wing, but upon crawling under the car the other day, I come to find out that my rear tires aside from the last two outside inches or so are slicks! That would explain it!
Well click onto TireRack to look for some new rear shoes, the fronts still have some life left in them. Well, come to find out, Kuhmo no longer makes the MX tire. What to do now? Suggestions, anyone tried the Kuhmo XS tire? Looking for affordable max performance tire, as I said, unless I get stuck in it, the car no longer sees rain.

Steve

Steve
Guards Red 1999
I'm not a race car driver, but I play one in 2nd and 3rd gear grinning smiley
I had used ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Thursday, 22 March, 2012, at 7:48:23 am
... the Kumbo SPTs for several years and like them very much.
But last time I ordered they were on back order so I decided to try the Hankook V12.
They are very similar to the SPTs in price and performance.
The Kumbos XS are a little softer (stickier) an more expensive.
Don't forget to link to TireRack through the Affiliate Forum Link here on PedrosBoard.
Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
C&D did a road test on various tires a few years back and compared a bunch of tires to the PS2, including the Hankook V12 and Kumho XS.

[www.caranddriver.com]

The Hankook came out of test with great all-around marks, as did the XS on the dry portion of the test.
However, the XS was one of the lowest rated tires in the wet. I can attest to this on the track; very good dry traction and poor wet traction. They would let go with virtually no notice, compared to the PS2 which gave me sort of a less responsive feel before getting loose in the rain.

Just as a thought--consider the Dunlop Star Spec-- a lot of people like these tires as a dual street/auto-x tire and they have good wet weather performance.
I agree Dunlops are excellent. They were my latest choice for the 986 and they feel every bit as good as the Michelins and Pirellis I have used in the past.
Kumho are awesome tires. I bought some for my AMG wheels on my Mercedes ML after reading Pedros reviews here. Much better then continentals on a SUV.

I really think the European tires are overpriced based on the real market feedback that is available these days.
I've had the Hankook V12s on a couple of cars and have been impressed with them. Stick very well. Reasonable price as well!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login