Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Our AC unit is not cooling as it was last Fall.
Probably can use a recharge.

Wondering if anyone has had any thoughts/ experience with aftermarket recharging kits.
I've had ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Saturday, 24 March, 2012, at 11:43:08 pm
... a small leak on my evaporator for about 5 years.
I have to add a can of 134a every 9 months or so.
You can use any of the ones on the market.
Make sure it has a gauge as yo do not want to overfill.
If the A/C is still cooling a bit you can add refrigerant to top it off.
If its not cooling at all you should get it looked at because the desiccant will have to be changed and you probably have a large leak that needs to be corrected.
Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Re: I've had ...
Laz - Sunday, 25 March, 2012, at 10:04:51 am
Isn't there a lubricant in the recharge cans that will build up in the system, thereby making it less and less efficient? That said, having a shop do a complete coolant replacement might be the way to go after a few recharges. This procedure could also get rid of moisture trapped in the system, too.
Of course, after a few weeks of record-breaking warmth...we may get hit with 20ยบ temps in Boston tonight.
Good thing we didn't change out the Winter tires and pull the hard top (was quite tempted, but knew better from past experiences with April snow storms).

Winter is not completely over yet :-)
When refilling...do you run the A/C while adding?
RainyDayGarage - Thursday, 31 May, 2012, at 11:49:52 am
This point is not all that clear in the various directions posted.
It is clear that the A/C system should be running at full blast for a few minutes prior, but is the system left on and running while the refrigerant is added?
With the system running and set to the coldest add the refrigerant until the gauge indicates full.
Once it's full, disconnect the refrigerant hose and recap the low pressure port.
All should be good now.
Happy Porscheing
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

is to hook up a machine to pull a vacuum on the A/C system to remove any refrigerant and at the same time oil and moisture. The system is left in a vacuum for IIRC 30 minutes check for any leaks.

If no leaks are found then the proper amount of refrigerant is added along with the proper amount of pump lube.

If the system requires recharging there's a leak and chances are the system is not only losing refrigerant but pump oil and there's a risk that at some point the system will not have enough oil to properly lube the pump.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
That's the ....
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Monday, 26 March, 2012, at 11:52:27 pm
... proper procedure.
But if you have a minuscule leak in the evaporator which requires replacement of said part at a cost of $1500 or more and you don't want to or can't incur in the expense, then my quick fix explained above is a viable albeit not permanent or ideal solution which has worked for me for many years.
Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla

We are with you on this...
RainyDayGarage - Tuesday, 27 March, 2012, at 8:05:13 am
Especially for those of us in the Northeast where AC is not as necessary.
For miniscule leaks, there is a sealant...
Gundo - Wednesday, 28 March, 2012, at 11:49:33 am
I used an AC system sealant that worked very well to stop a small leak. Something about crystalizing on contact with O2. I had a small leak in the system on my Volvo V70 - and the repair procedure was to remove the entire dashboard to replace system - on a 10 year old car?? not. Anyway, I shot a can of this stuff in the system, and the AC was perfect for several years until I sold the car. Obviously not a boxster, but perhaps worth a try if cost benefit is worth it to you.

Whatever you do, don't buy the sealant in the pressurized can - it will most likely harm your system. See link below. No affiliation.

[www.gwrauto.com]

Cheers
Gundo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2012 11:50AM by Gundo. (view changes)
Be careful with that product ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Wednesday, 28 March, 2012, at 3:52:56 pm
... because although it works as advertised, if you later develop a larger leak your whole system may fail completely.
This stuff is basically a 2-part epoxy that remains liquid until it interacts with water.
The way it works is you have a small leak in the system. You load the 2-part sealer into the system.
At the point of the leak, since gas is expanding, water condenses.
Any of the 2-part epoxy running through the system that also escapes and gets in contact with that water solidifies and seals the leak.
But here's the potentially grave problem:
If you eventually develop a larger leak, or one of the A/C pressure lines break enough humidity will seep into the system to completely lock it up as the epoxy hardens.
This includes the innards of the compressor as well as all the lines.
I saw a complete A/C system that had to be replaced (condenser, evaporator, all of the lines, desiccant, and compressor).
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla

Boxstering won't be Happy if that happens! *NM*
Laz - Wednesday, 28 March, 2012, at 4:19:51 pm
Re: Be careful with that product ...Yikrs
Gundo - Thursday, 29 March, 2012, at 11:00:13 pm
If it sounds to good to be true....thanks P
Thanks Pedro for the insight!
RainyDayGarage - Thursday, 29 March, 2012, at 11:00:21 am
Probably will just stick with charging the system as needed until something more drastic happens.

Even though the Boxster does have AC, using it with the top down was kind of a luxury :-) As we drove a Nissan Pathfinder for 15 years which did not have AC, we are kind of used to living without it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login