Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Front Speakers
ericp - Monday, 26 March, 2012, at 9:54:34 am
I have an '01 base with the CDR220 system in it. I need to replace my front speakers. I did a quick search but didn't find anything here. Anyone have a recommendation for the front (dash) speakers?

Thanks,
Eric
In lieu of a more specific responses here, get the highest quality speakers you can buy from a reputable, higher-end auido dealer and ask them for a recommendation. Check first the ohmage rating for the speakers in place and match that so the amp is not overloaded by your new speakers. The ohmage is usually painted/stamped on the magnet and usaully be 4, 8 or 16 in value. Higher numbers of the new speaker is ok, lower than the existing means more resistance and therefore more load. I had my whole system swapped out 10 years ago so I don't remember what was put in place.

Also, you should ensure that the target speaker fits. This is more than the diameter but includes the depth and size of magnet. Another tip is you may want to avoid those speakers that are brighter sounding than the others. At first, a bright speaker sounds better, and companies know this so they tend to make their speakers bright to jump off the shelf in an audio show room. The reason to be careful here, is that the amps in our cars are not so good and harsh on the top end. Add a bright speaker and you may be very irritated and unhappy with the resulting sound, particularly as you turn it up with the top down. Good luck and post your results.
Re: No specifcs but....
Laz - Monday, 26 March, 2012, at 1:39:58 pm
The higher the nominal Ω, the higher the load or resistance, frequency anomalies aside. Too low an impedance could cause too great a current flow, as the amp is "seeing" nearly a short circuit. Chances are each loudpeaker unit is rated at 4Ω or more, but to be safe it's best to get new units whose nominal impedance is the same as the old ones. Pay attention to the polarity of the connections, especially that it's the same for both sides. Weird auditory spatial effects and possible loss of bass can occur if one side is reversed relative to the other.
Re: Front Speakers
whall - Monday, 26 March, 2012, at 6:19:40 pm
Eric,

Check out this RennTech link:

[www.renntech.org]

If you are not currently a member of the board, you'll have to register. It's painless and free.

Bill
nmanitou (Doug in MI) - Monday, 26 March, 2012, at 7:54:38 pm
The trick is that not too many speakers fit and the front speakers have a special mounting cage. whall's renntech link is pretty good. I did this project on my '01 and have some good pictures showing the process if you need more ( I just have to find them!) I ended up cutting out the OEM speakers and re-using the cage. A bit scary at first, but doable if you are handy.

Current Love: 2008 RS60; 1st Love: 2001 base, triple black
ericp - Sunday, 8 April, 2012, at 2:12:51 pm
I replaced my stock dash speakers Friday night. I decided to go with the Polk DB401 speakers. I did a little research on landed on these, the specs for wattage and such are perfect for the stock amp. I actually have the 6 speaker version of the amp. After reading the 2 linked posts above I also decided to use the speaker blanks which I found for $22 each at Pelican. I used a drexel to cut out the hole to set the speakers in, ground off 2 of the mounting flanges and lightly bent the other 2 flanges to fit the blanks, then used a small screw to hold the speakers, it really was as easy as that. I purchased the speakers from Crutchfield and they sent the wiring adapters to fit the stock connector and voila I have new speakers. They sound a lot better and overall I am very pleased with them.

I took a few pics on the mounted speakers and will get them online and linked here.

Eric
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login