Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
06 Boxster S or 08 base Boxster?
Kinnick4Ever - Sunday, 1 April, 2012, at 5:31:31 pm
I'm interested to hear what Boxster owners think about this choice as I contemplate upgrading from my 00 base Boxster (I am drawn to some of the improvements made in the second generation Boxster plus the heated seats, Xenons, glass window, and power seat adjustments). Beyond similar options, both cars feature fairly similar miles (29,000 on the 06 S and 42,000 mostly highway miles on the 08 base) and similar asking prices ($32,995). Both were serviced at Porsche dealerships. The 06 S is being sold off a local non-Porsche lot while the 08 is being sold by a Porsche dealer. I really like the idea of the performance advantage offered by the Boxster S but is that added power enough to justify choosing it over the 08 with two years of evolutionary engineering improvements plus warranty coverage and then two-year Porsche Certification after that? This is a tough choice. I keep thinking if choose the base I'll pine for the S. Any advice from veteran owners would be appreciated!
Re: 06 Boxster S or 08 base Boxster?
Kinnick4Ever - Monday, 2 April, 2012, at 9:49:10 am
Don't pine. *NM*
Laz - Monday, 2 April, 2012, at 10:06:26 am
Well...
Roger987 - Monday, 2 April, 2012, at 10:17:19 am
I've never owned an S, but I'll offer my thoughts.

1. At BRBS last year, Guenter, in his 2006 non-S, often leaded a group through miles and miles of twisties. He was followed by S's, non-S's and some 911's. There was NO ONE nibbling at his rear bumper. His smooth style demonstrated the Boxster's strongest performance advantage - handling. You don't need the S to get that handling.

2. A factory warranty has always had a LOT of appeal to me. This is especially true after Porsche replaced my entire Boxster engine free - zero cost - under warranty.

3. The options on each car would be a factor, but not as much as #2 above.

4. I can't recall if it was model year 2009 or 2010 that the Boxster went non-IMS. If you budget can be stretched enough, maybe consider a non-IMS car. If it can't, I'd go with the 2008. Warranty matters to me, and the 2008 would be certain to have Porsche's best IMS bearing.
Base
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC - Monday, 2 April, 2012, at 3:33:37 pm
I owned a '99 (201HP) and a '01S (250HP) and I really never felt a huge difference between the two. I've said I think I liked the base more because it was more about me the driver and less the car. I could put my foot in it harder and keep it there longer. And your '08 base would have more displacement, torque and HP than my base did. Drive both...there is no right answer I can give that is right for you...only you can know what your priorities are. 3+ year warranty value makes the '08 lots cheaper.
I like the warranty, too.

I've owned an 02 base now for over 10 years and the base model Boxster (or Cayman) I think offer the best bang for the buck. While the S is certainly faster the base is fast enough to lose your license if you don't behave. Do not sell the base with its lower weight short. And if the new base's transmission still shifts as quickly at my 02's transmission because one can shift the base quicker than the S the base I think feels quicker in that respect.

MarcW.
There is only a 35HP difference between the 2 cars, with the 08 base having the Variocam + setup.
Unless you're putting your foot into it on a regular basis or looking to track it, I don't think you'll miss the additional HP in the S.

The warranty issue--in my mind -- is a big deal; 3 years of a factory warranty vs. none? If it was my call, I'd go with the 08.
I own an '02 S and I once rented a base '02 and found the base Boxster to be great around town, the 5 speed was much easier to deal with during stop and go driving, whereas the 6 speed can become a chore, in fact during cold weather I tend to double clutch during warm up. On the flip side the 6 speed is great on the track and although I didn't take the rental on a track it's hard to believe that it would be superior in that realm. So I agree that I would lean toward the warranty and as most people spend a lot more time on the street I would lean towards the '08.
silverbox03 - Monday, 2 April, 2012, at 6:06:34 pm
I like the fact that the '06 'S' has lower miles per year, and you are smart to consider cars with a few miles on them since the ultra-low mileage cars will depreciate at a higher rate, but the '08 is really a bit high in miles.

I agree that the standard Boxster is 99% as satisfying as the 'S'. I've had both and I miss some of the qualities I enjoyed in my '99. Unless you demand higher performance for auto crossing or tracking, the standard car is more than enough in real traffic situations and extremely fun to drive.
Although there are some who think more miles per year is good for the car (Pedro/Marc's experience) especially highway miles. They may have experienced the wear at startup the same number of times (or maybe not).
Guenter in Ontario - Monday, 2 April, 2012, at 7:54:38 pm
I'd be inclined to go with the 08, specially if it really had mostly highway miles, for these reasons:
- highway miles are much less wear and tear on the engine (and starter) than stop and go, short trips. Most engine wear happens on a cold startup, not the highway miles when the oil is flowing and keeping the engine lubricated
- 3 years of Porsche warranty means you only have regular maintenance to worry about (this includes roadside assistance too)
- 35 HP - while nice, will not make a big difference in the enjoyment of this car (which '08 will already have 44 more HP than your current one)

In the end, the best way of knowing the right answer is for you to take both of these cars our for a back to back drive and see which one that YOU really enjoy driving the most.

Guenter
2014 Boxster S
GT Silver, 6 Speed Manual, Bi-Xenons, Sports Suspension (lowers car 20mm), Porsche Sports Exhaust, Porsche Torque Vectoring, Auto Climate control, heated and vented seats, 20" Carrera S Wheels, Pedro's TechNoWind, Sport Design steering wheel, Roll bars in GT Silver
[www.cyberdesignconcepts.com]
Kinnick4Ever - Monday, 2 April, 2012, at 8:26:16 pm
Wow, these answers are very helpful and a bit unexpected. Thanks everyone! I had thought more people would favor the "S" but the arguments for the base--in this case anyway--make sense. As a next step, my wife joined me for another look (her first) at the 08 today. She seemed to like it but was noncommittal beyond that (I know better than to buy a car without her complete and full blessing -smiling smiley. Anyway, thanks for helping crystalize my thinking.
One last thought
MikenOH - Monday, 2 April, 2012, at 9:58:49 pm
See if you can get a report of all maintenance performed on the two cars and before you put money down on the one you like, get the over rev print out from the DME to see if the car has been abused.
If you're buying the CPO car, the dealer should be able to provide a report showing over revs (ranges 1 through 6) and roughly a time frame (engine hours) as to when they happened. The 1-3 range over revs aren't the end of the world, but the 4-6 range over revs can indicate somebody has been treating the car badly.

Here's a thread on it from the Cayman board:
[www.planet-9.com]
Can't you get the CPO
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC - Tuesday, 3 April, 2012, at 10:18:10 am
inspection report that the dealer sends to Porsche to get approval to offer the car as a CPO?
Re: Can't you get the CPO
MikenOH - Tuesday, 3 April, 2012, at 11:45:03 am
Exactly--here's a copy of the inspection sheet:

[www.cars.com]
Some really Good advise here.
garyinseattle - Tuesday, 3 April, 2012, at 10:35:59 am
I am still thinking about replacing my 05 base Boxster. One of the many options I am considering is a new Boxster when they come out. I was always thinking I would get an S the next time, but have to admit that except for the odd on-ramp, I rarely have my foot in it. One of my favorite things about the Boxster is the low weight and center of gravity. I could see how the extra weight of the S might offset some of the enjoyment of the extra hp. Definitely something to consider when pricing out a new Boxster.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login