Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
We were in NYC for the press preview of the NYIAC. Thought some of you may be interested in getting a closer look at the details of the new Boxster 981:
[www.rainydaymagazine.com]

Click on any of the images for a larger version.
Re: Some pics of the new Boxster 981 from the NYIAS...
db997S - Friday, 6 April, 2012, at 9:00:23 am
How was that color in person, and what do you know, it's a stick. Wonder how much and how popular the seat inserts in exterior color will be? Also, the painted center console is more like painted trim now. Doesn't do much to the interior like the old painted console did.

Thanks for posting.
It is a nice light subtle green, but the color was difficult to judge (and even more difficult to photograph) as there were color spotlights everywhere.
However, the paint had a metallic layer and sparkled nicely.
Thanks for posting, I'm also wondering how the lime-gold came off in real life.
Pure Electric Vehicles from the NYIAS...NBC
RainyDayGarage - Tuesday, 10 April, 2012, at 8:21:59 am
Did not see any all-electric Porsche at the show, but there were plenty of other PEVs there...follow the link for the write-up:
[www.rainydaymagazine.com]

While some may be concern about how quiet PEVs are, we think the silence is a welcome change, especially when driving out in the country.
The tech is maturing, but there are still quite a chicken and egg thing going on.

Perhaps when gas is $10 or $20/gallon, then the incentive to go electric will be stronger.
Of course, the issue of how the electricity will be provided will still be there, but if the problem was easy to solve then where would the fun be?

Looking forward to the day when the Boxster E is available.
Call me an old geezer, but I spent a bit of time with this car last week as well and it doesn't feel like a sports car anymore. The color is interesting, but I doubt it will appeal to a mass audience. Although it's lighter and more yellowish, it has about as much appeal as the old lime green metallic color that you could find on late '60s Cougars and other Ford products. I think color schemes like this only reinforce the (mistaken) image of the Boxster as a woman's car.

The interior is loaded with little bits of chrome to accent switches and other pieces, and the straight, elevated line of the new console appears out of place in a car with such a flowing exterior. It seems that Porsche now feels the need to compete with the likes of Buick to find every opportunity to add chrome to the interior bits. When I see it, I long for the 993 interiors. The 981 makes my Boxster look downright plain (in a good way) by comparison. If I were buying new right now, I'd pass.
There is something to what you say...but
RainyDayGarage - Tuesday, 10 April, 2012, at 3:13:04 pm
There is something to what you say about the shiny bits, but we don't think there will ever be the day when Porsche feels the need to compete with the likes of Buick. At least, let us hope there won't be :-)

As for the color...it is hard to top black, red, or silver as the perfect color for a sports car.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login