Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Hardtop storage advice needed
Dwass - Friday, 13 April, 2012, at 3:35:06 am
Hey everyone,

I 'm a little late to do it, but I just swapped my winter wheels out for my "summers". As I continue to convert my car for warmer weather, I need to figure out how I'm going to store my hardtop. I purchased the hardtop (used), for my 2000 Boxster 2.7, locally last November and it went on and stayed on all winter. I plan to keep the hardtop in storage until this November. I'd like to figure out a safe way to store it for the time being.

I've pretty much exhausted my efforts on internet searches regarding this topic. I cannot do a ceiling or wall mount option at this time, so a stand/rack is looking like my only option. In terms of a stand, many have gone the ebay route and some have gone as far as to make their own. I would love to make my own, especially considering the cost savings, however, I just don't have the time right now. I've seen an ad on ebay for the last several months for a stand with an included cover. It appears to be rather generic, the seller also advertises it with other car models/manufacturers in the titles of other listings for the same (looking) stand. It seems like an "OK" deal, but I'm worried about the "no returns" policy. All-in-all, with shipping, this thing is like $135. I'd hate to mess up and lose the money. I emailed the seller, but got a pretty generic reply. Does anyone have experience with ebay stands? I would share the link, but I forgot if that is against forum rules. There's another auction for a stand that ships from the UK, but the shipping is a real deal killer for me. That seems to be it on ebay...

What do you guys use for hardtop storage? Anyone with ebay stand experience?

Thanks!
Re: Hardtop storage advice needed
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC - Friday, 13 April, 2012, at 10:16:10 am
Maybe post a wanted ad on some of the forums, those racks are frequently available as someone sold the hardtop to someone who would use it all the time and didn't want the rack or had no means to get it to their place. Even a local craigslist ad under car parts with Porsche Boxster in the header might help.
John B in SC - Friday, 13 April, 2012, at 4:18:47 pm
This is a nice system because it puts it up out of the way, but it is a bit pricey.

[www.suncoastparts.com]

See my other pastime at www.gothamcityracing.net
Chicago KC - Friday, 13 April, 2012, at 7:23:19 pm
I got one of these about 10 years ago: [www.automotion.com]
Dwass - Saturday, 14 April, 2012, at 7:52:49 pm
I haven't seen that in ages! Thanks for the link! How do you like it? Does it work well with the 986 top? What do you do to cover/protect the top while in storage? Price is a little high compared to the ebay option, but I like the minimalistic design and build quality (from what I see in the image).

Thanks!

-Dwass
Chicago KC - Sunday, 15 April, 2012, at 7:06:13 pm
It works great for the 986 top, I don't cover it but just clean the top a bit before reinstalling it. After a decade the foam is only slightly pushed down but that has yet to be an issue. It folds up using a hex driver on two screws, every year I wonder if the screws are tight enough but every season it works great, it is a bit pricey and it hasn't come down since I bought it in '02, although Performance Products has been absorbed by Automotion during the intervening years.
Jaay - Friday, 13 April, 2012, at 7:19:12 pm
I made this 2 seasons ago. Cheap and works. I can get you the dimensions if you would like. I have to admit I stole the idea from a s2000 forum my brother turned me on to.
Dwass - Saturday, 14 April, 2012, at 7:49:35 pm
I've seen this! I was hoping someone who was connected to this would post. If you have any additional information on it, I'd really appreciate it. Do you have a picture of the top in the stand? How long did it take to make? Cost? ETC.

Thanks!

-Dwass
Jaay - Saturday, 14 April, 2012, at 8:34:06 pm
Took about a half hour to make and another half for the spray paint to dry. I am going to look for a parts list now. This is the link I used. Mine is off slightly on the dimensions. But this works just fine. I added some pipe insulation to cushion it all. Good luck. Super easy an cheap.

[www.s2ki.com]
Dwass - Sunday, 15 April, 2012, at 1:30:26 pm
Thanks a lot! Were there any changes you made to the dimensions that were necessary for the 986 top? Do you have any pictures of your top on the stand? A parts list would be awesome! Thanks for taking the time to look!

-Dwass
hpjay - Sunday, 15 April, 2012, at 5:48:26 pm
If you have the floor space, just park it upright (glass down) against a wall. Cover with a quilt an use a throw pillow to keep the corners of the weather strip away from the wall.
I have been storing mine this way for years.
HJ
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login