Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Drove a 2012 911S today
Roger987 - Friday, 13 April, 2012, at 11:58:30 am
Black/black, manual transmission, 20" Carrera Classic wheels. (20" is standard, the Carrera Classic is an optional style.)

Short, crisp, shifts. Though the shifter action required a bit more effort than my 987, the car is brand new. Interior feels rich, nicely put together. Seats, steering wheel were excellent. Needless to say, lots of power/torque. Car was relatively quiet. Handled like it's on rails, with capability far exceeding my own abilities/courage.

That's the good news....

I wasn't wild about the position of the shifter. The upward-sloping console means that, with a starting position of your elbow on the armrest, you lift your arm, particularly your forearm, to shift, rather than simply sliding your arm forward slightly. It's not horrible, and I'm sure one would adapt, but it didn't feel as easy or convenient as that of my 987. I would think that, on the track, this would be of less concern, as you're not cruising around, and your right arm is going to be moving from the steering wheel to the shifter and back again, and be much more active, generally, than in a non-track environment. I doubt there's much 'armrest' time on the track.

Frankly, this first drive (I'd have to drive it more to finally decide), made me think that PDK, with paddle shifters (not the annoying steering wheel shifters), might make for a happier long-term marriage. Hard to believe I said that. Heresy, I know. But to me, at least, the new shifter position really does feel different, and not in an 'improved' way. Probably one would get used to it. But I never had to 'get used to' to my 987's shifter. It was right, from the get-go.

I really wanted to like the new shifter position, or at the very least, not notice it. My sense is the new console (which first appeared in the Panamera) was designed predominately with PDK in mind.

The 20" wheels and corresponding low profile tires made for a very firm ride over bumps in the road. However, it was only about 40 degrees today, so both tires and pavement were hard. I'd be happy to give up a bit of 10/10 handling for some ride comfort.

The engine was quiet - maybe too quiet, even when I put my foot in it. This was a fixed-roof car, so it's going to be inherently quieter than a convertible, and, of course, the engine wasn't immediately behind me.

And although the engine was powerful, the difference between its performance and that of my 987, while significant, wasn't nearly as large as I thought (was afraid) it might be. Again I wasn't driving the snot out of it - in that circumstance, there would probably be a more dramatic difference.

When the sales manager asked me if I'd like to take the car for a drive, I said "that might be a mistake", thinking I might fall head over heels. But, when it was over, I walked away thinking, "man, I love my Boxster, and can scarcely wait until it comes out of storage in two weeks".

The photo below is of an agate grey 2012 in the (temporary) showroom. (The dealership premises are in the midst of a major overhaul.)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2012 12:03PM by Roger987. (view changes)
the finger smiley *NM*
Gary in SoFL - Friday, 13 April, 2012, at 2:03:52 pm
And fortunately for me, I've grown to like the 2013 19" Boxster S wheel.
The widening of the Boxster S spokes toward the rim picks up on the fender creases transitioning to the intake scoops. The Carrera wheel is better suited for the 911.
Re: Am I the only one who isn't ga-ga over those wheels?
MikenOH - Friday, 13 April, 2012, at 1:16:29 pm
Me too; looks like an aftermarket product that would look well on a SUV with blacket out windows.
I really don't like them either. Not sure what is "classic" about them. I thought a "classic" wheel should be reminiscent of some past well-regarded design. I don't recall any Carrera wheel which looked like that. Those wheels would be better suited to something more angular - perhaps like a Lambo. I did choose the 20 inch Carrera wheel - I liked it SLIGHTLY more than the standard Boxster S 19" wheel in the showroom. Hope I don't regret the larger size but in all of the reviews, I have not noted any complaints about ride.

I was really happy with the picture of the Agate Grey color - although my color vision is not great, it looked much more accurate than the pics on the Porsche site.

Three months to go!

mike

Lawdevil
2013 Boxster S - Agate Grey,
2016 Macan Turbo - jet black
Cashiers, NC & Atlanta
Wish I could!
Lawdevil & CURVN8R - Friday, 13 April, 2012, at 4:41:09 pm
But I think I willlike the PDK in manual mode just fine! And it will avoid some of those 10 hour straight driving sessions!

Lawdevil
Cashiers, NC & Atlanta
Re: BTW, have you tried the 7 speed manual?
Gary in SoFL - Friday, 13 April, 2012, at 4:46:07 pm
Yes, on my 991 test drive, but I never got out of 3rd..... smoking smiley
Re: Wish I could!
Gary in SoFL - Friday, 13 April, 2012, at 4:44:02 pm
Did you order a PSE...Porsche Sport Exhaust? I don't think it's offered on the Boxster.
Re: Wish I could!
Lawdevil & CURVN8R - Friday, 13 April, 2012, at 5:12:39 pm
Yes _ it is just not available until July deliveries. I understand the option list will grow as production gets further along.

Lawdevil
Cashiers, NC & Atlanta
Re: Drove a 2012 911S today
db997S - Friday, 13 April, 2012, at 2:48:58 pm
Regarding the sound, I thought the 991 had the ability to "pipe" in the engine sound or to "block" it out. You may not have pushed the button to have the device thingy "pipe" in the sound. I forget what it's called, as device thingy is not the technical term for it. I would imagine a coupe would have a more pronounced engine sound than a cab, as more exterior noise is kept out of a coupe. The ragtop lets in more wind, road and other vehicle sounds.
Shifter, wheels, exhaust...
Roger987 - Friday, 13 April, 2012, at 8:26:37 pm
Mike, I think you will like the PDK. Though I have yet to drive one, the ergonomics seem to lend themselves to it. But I think I'd prefer the paddle shifters to the smaller steering wheel button/lever.

Here's a link to a discussion on Planet 9 of the latter.

[www.planet-9.com]

Years ago, I was told that wheels with an even number of spokes directly opposite each other (such as the 'Carrera Classic') create a 'static' look, whereas wheels with an odd number of spokes (such as the 'Carrera S' wheel) create a more dynamic look. I believe that to be accurate. Of the wheels available for the 981, I like the appearance of the 'Carrera S' wheels the best.

Regarding my observation of a firm ride, keep in mind I live in the great white north. We have LARGE bumps and depressions caused by frost. For example, today, when the 911 found its way to the bottom of one of those depressions, I encountered a couple trying to push their Smart car up out of the hole. (O.k., I'm exaggerating, but you get my drift - our roads are not smooth).

As db997S mentioned, some or all of the 991's have some sort of motor noise pipe thingy that brings engine sound into the interior. It may well be that it was turned off on the car I drove. Some BMW's have even more elaborate technology to reproduce engine sound in the cockpit. Hmm... the times, they are a changin'..

Overall, the 991 was very nice. I was relieved that I didn't feel a strong urge to buy one. Of course, for the overall experience, I prefer a cab over a coupe, and this one was a coupe. Test-driving the 981 (or 991) Cab might be more risky.

BTW, the agate grey strikes me as a unique grey - lighter than meteor, darker than GT silver, different from seal grey. Reminded me a bit of slate grey, but I've never seem that in the flesh. Buying a new model, painted a new colour, seems fitting. Nonetheless, I certainly can appreciate why Guenter chose to order his 981 in what has now become paint-to-sample Arctic Silver. Pricey, but when you know what you want, it's worth it. winking smiley

One last comment - I had gone to the dealership to buy some Porsche coolant and the newest radiator cap. Because of the renovations, the parts department is currently being run out of the adjacent Jaguar/Volvo dealership. The receptionist there made me think of Gary. No, she didn't look like him in the least, thankfully. But had Gary been there, he would have had a coronary. grinning smiley
There were women
Laz - Friday, 13 April, 2012, at 8:40:42 pm
and maybe they're still there, at Ray Catena in NJ that would make me forget to breathe. It was difficult to be calm yet charming, and not to start spouting some "authentic frontier gibberish" without realizing it.
Re: Drove a 2012 911S today
Guenter in Ontario - Saturday, 14 April, 2012, at 12:33:02 am
Sounds like you had a fun day. Any day to take a new Porsche (OK, ANY Porsche) out for a drive makes for a great day. cool smiley

I think there may be a solution for the shifter location. And I think this guy's got it. Check out around the 25 second mark.

[www.youtube.com]

I agree about when you need both hands on the wheel and when not. Generally, you don't need both hands on the wheel around town - unless you're shooting a scene for Bullit. grinning smiley

I'm not crazy about the wheels in the picture either. The colour makes them look as if they have about 2000 miles of brake dust on them.

I know you're right about getting your Boxster out again. There's just nothing like driving a Boxster topless on a sunny day. Stir some twisties into the mix and you've got the Zen of Driving giving you a severe case of Permagin.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login