Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Review coming up in Excellence
Guenter in Ontario - Saturday, 14 April, 2012, at 10:28:37 am
Here's the online version.

One thing I hadn't read before is that the MAF has been replaced by a different pressure sensing setup.

Their assessment of the manual shifter is not the same as any of the others I've read. Kind of what I was wondering. sad smiley . But, I think there are some solutions.

[www.excellence-mag.com]
Re: Review coming up in Excellence
Roger987 - Saturday, 14 April, 2012, at 12:31:26 pm
Thanks for posting the link. Interesting to read that the 991 has a new manual transmission, whereas the 981 uses the older unit. That would explain why I found the throws in the 991 I drove yesterday to be shorter than those in my 987.

The last sentence of the review is also vey interesting....
Guenter in Ontario - Saturday, 14 April, 2012, at 2:41:55 pm
Roger987
Thanks for posting the link. Interesting to read that the 991 has a new manual transmission, whereas the 981 uses the older unit. That would explain why I found the throws in the 991 I drove yesterday to be shorter than those in my 987.

The last sentence of the review is also vey interesting....

I don't think the length of the throws are dictated by the transmissionm. It's by the design geometry of the linkage mechanism found right below the shifter.

You're absolutely right about the last statement. You can read all the reviews (which overall are very positive and encouraging) you want, but you don't REALLY know until you drive it yourself and can really FEEL what the car and controls are doing. I could never just buy a car based on the numbers. That's what makes the Boxster so special to me - the way it feels when I'm driving it. It's not something which is easily described in words.

....so, I'm still waiting to see - and feel.
Laz - Saturday, 14 April, 2012, at 5:09:37 pm
Gear shift feel: If it's anything like my old 2001 5 speed I'm driving today, it'll be a dream compared to my Honda's shifter. I can just about tap the Porsche's into any gear.
I think the coasting function is only available with PDK.
Not sure how many cars were test driven, as at the beginning of the review it seems there was time to drive only one car, yet a description of PTV-less turning dynamics is given, then a description of driving with limited slip. Maybe there's a different configuration for non-US cars, but here they are part of the same option.
The noise reduction specs are intriguing, but I thought my head was going to explode when I tried recalling the relationships between dBs, sones, phons, Fletcher-Munson curves, etc. I leave that to someone else to explain. Stiffness expressed in Hz was interesting... gotta investigate that someday, too.
Previously here there was a discussion of Manifold Absolute Pressure sensing vs. MAFs.
As far as what the car feels like, that's in the seat-of-the-pants of the beholder.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login