Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Starting problems after winter storage
hails - Sunday, 15 April, 2012, at 4:05:04 pm
Hi

Having trouble starting my 2000 boxster. The car just came out of winter storage with the battery dead. After connecting jumper cables and turning the ignition, I hear clicking sounds (click, click click) from underneath the car. All the indicator lights do flicker as I try starting. It does eventually turn over after many attempts.

Starter? Not sure what's going on. Thanks!
-Hans
Battery is my guess.
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC - Sunday, 15 April, 2012, at 5:17:21 pm
Total discharge means it is often a long time to jump and a full charge before you are able to get enough current through it to sound normal. Put the battery on a charger for 6-8 hours ... not a maintainer ... or jump it from a car hooked up for at least 2 minutes at 3k RPM before you try to start it and then drive it 20 miles at 40MPH after it starts. That should charge it but then deliver it to your favorite battery store and have them test it. Fully discharged batteries are sometimes not able to be fully recharged.
*Semi coherent "authentic frontier gibberish."
Re: Battery is my guess. +1
Guenter in Ontario - Monday, 16 April, 2012, at 8:12:28 am
You can try charging the battery and see if it will continue to work, but often if they're drained down that low that it's not starting the car it's time to get a new one.

Batteries generally last about 4 - 6 years. Mine went at 5 1/2 years. I had a battery in my VW Jetta that went just short of 10 years.
Which was almost 6 months ago exactly winking smiley
Burg Boxster - Monday, 16 April, 2012, at 8:51:20 am
CURVEN8R meets ELIMIN8R... the love story

Let me know what maintenance needs you have scheduled for our visit in ~ 3 weeks grinning smiley

smileys with beer
Re: Which was almost 6 months ago exactly winking smiley
Guenter in Ontario - Monday, 16 April, 2012, at 9:22:18 am
Burg Boxster

Let me know what maintenance needs you have scheduled for our visit in ~ 3 weeks grinning smiley

smileys with beer

How about replacing the water pump? ...maybe I'd better get that done before. Wouldn't want to lay down a coolant trail while on the Fun Run. grinning smiley
Re: Starting problems after winter storage
frogster - Monday, 16 April, 2012, at 12:22:34 am
when was the last time you checked the level of the electrolyte in the battery? how old is the battery?

--
MY 2000 S, Ocean Blue, Metropol Blue, Savanah Beige.
Bought June 2000 - Sold May 2010
Ed B - Monday, 16 April, 2012, at 8:36:21 am
Me too. Same symptoms. Definitely the battery. I had a battery maintainer on it, but it may have become disconnected. Battery was completely dead. It's only a couple of years old. Did a long slow charge with a regular charger and it came back.

Ed B (2000S)
hails - Monday, 16 April, 2012, at 6:18:36 pm
Thanks for the repsonses. replaced the battery...everything is fine. Never had to deal with a completely disccharged batter. Not sure what happened. I had a Porsche battery trickler on during the winter.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login