Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Better darn well hope so... more [shhhh] big brother bullshit is being rammed down our throats:

[www.infowars.com]

Don't be foolish and think this won't be used against you... it already is and will be even more so w/ garbage like this getting passed!

angry smiley
Well. Looks like I'm going to have to
Guenter in Ontario - Wednesday, 18 April, 2012, at 11:36:21 pm
move up my plans on a 981 purchase. eye popping smiley
Sooner or later there'll be an app for that...
Dave In MD - Thursday, 19 April, 2012, at 8:53:34 am
There are tools now to delete, modify and update data in the on board computer. Heck, Pedro even sells these. There has never been a system yet that can't be modified given motivation. Maybe there will be a new market here. Push button to save the previous 5 minutes else it is not retained...or plug in laptop to make the court evidence what you want. Seemed to work for Toyota a few years ago. Apologies to our legal colleagues here, but my sense is the courts will never be sophisticated enough to use the data in an intelligent way. hot smiley

Dave - 06 987 S coupe SG/NL; gone (but still my first love): 03 986 AS/GG/BK;
Sure, just as...
Burg Boxster - Thursday, 19 April, 2012, at 9:44:18 am
Sure, just as:

erases all traces of your online activity winking smiley

Mandating standardized data... Huh? What would ever make me think "they'd" want to collect it? Good thing there's no way they could gather it live, right? Of course they won't think to make it illegal either to erase/tamper/alter the data, right? Insurance companies will probably strike their existing policy provisions about tampering/altering/deleting data which is already being logged too, correct? You're right, I'm just waging a 1 man battle to help G-man convince G-woman his "needs" to order a 981 winking smiley
flight recorders I thought only kept about 30 minutes of data. We look upon the negative of these boxes, but if they don't store data indefinately, then they could be used for a positive. It's so easy these days to get accused of doing something wrong when you are completely innocent. This box, or cell phone records, or toll tags can be used to prove you right and the accurser wrong.

As of now, if I got into an accident, they'd use my ticket history for moving violations against me. If I had a black box that showed I wasn't doing anything wrong at the time of the incident, then who cares about previous offenses. Without that, though, you'd be presumed guilty because of your past.

Yeah, I don't want the government poking into my life and certainly don't want the black box, but you gotta look at the glass as half full. The only ones who have to worry are the ones who are doing bad things, including driving 60 mph in a 25 zone. With ABS, there are no longer skid marks to assist in accident recreations. If somebody hits me while speeding and has a clean record, and the traffic recreation can't determine who did what, but knew somebody was speeding, I'd be presumed guilty because of my past.

EZ Pass could easily nail me for speeding, but the cops can't access their records without a court order. If there's no cause to do so, a court won't grant access. Same with the black box, as long as I'm not doing something dumb, then I have nothing to worry about. If I want to committ a big crime, it'll have to be within walking distance of my house. But, since I'm not a criminal, no worries.
"glass as half full"
Burg Boxster - Thursday, 19 April, 2012, at 9:29:00 am
...in airliners are how our big brother nanny state keeps track of what's going in the air.

There are uniquely coded transponders in almost every airplane of any size, that report where it is, what track it's flown, how high it is, how fast it's going, who it it....you get the idea.

Cars will surely follow angry smiley

"But, since I'm not a criminal, no worries." You're either a lawyer, or like to support them. ROTFLMAO!!!
I've been mistaken for a lawyer from time to time, but I work with them way too frequently, so it rubs off.
If you want a discussion on network anonymity and computer forensics, we can do that over a beer at BRBS...

But, I may have to change my handle to "anonymous". smileys with beer

Dave - 06 987 S coupe SG/NL; gone (but still my first love): 03 986 AS/GG/BK;
already have a black box that is used to record speed and other things. In the event of an airbag deployment the data is locked.

Car makers record this to track spurious airbag deployments -- it happens -- and the performance of their ABS, stability control and similar systems, in the event of an accident.

There are already cases in which this data has been requested generally when there is an accident involved.

A couple of years ago I was involved in helping an attorney go over some black-box like data (from a product for which I have done the firmware). While many think this data can only be negative, in this case had the device been installed -- the driver unfortunately didn't plug the device in -- it would have backed up his story of what happened: he claimed to have stopped his vehicle (the 2nd vehicle in a 3 vehicle accident) and which was then struck from behind by a following vehicle (3rd vehicle) that failed to stop in time; the impact drove the 2nd vehicle into an already stopped vehicle (the 1s vehicle) with serious injuries to the occupants of the 1st vehicle. The driver of the 3rd vehicle, of course, claimed when his vehicle hit the 2nd vehicle it was *after* the 2nd vehicle had already hit the 1st vehicle. Millions of dollars in damage (personal injury) claims was involved.

BTW, I'm testing a 'black box' in my cars that also records GPS and other info and sends this info over the air to a cell phone connection in near real time.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
What I take out of the story
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC - Friday, 20 April, 2012, at 10:20:38 am
is if you are the middle car, get out of the car fast and go to the front car and remind them that they heard the crash before they felt it which means the third guy hit the second car which then was driven into the first. Happened to me once stopped at a stoplight, did that, front guy backed up the way I remembered it, no charges etc. Don't remember whose insurance paid for the repairs.
-- in the accident I mentioned in my post -- that doesn't work. The person in the 1st vehicle suffered among other things severe head trauma.

BTW, the attorney for the driver (and fleet owner) of the second vehicle believed the driver's version of the events. Unfortunately without something to back it up...

Best is to have witnesses -- human -- or digital (black box recorder).

What I learned from my accidents was more and more responsibility will be denied and if there are no witnesses or nothing else that can be used to determine who was at fault, the claim dispute goes to arbitration.

In arbitration the baby is cut in half and each driver pays for his car's damage. 'course in case if anyone has forgotten this would have had my insurance company replace (had it deemed the car a total loss and based on what I learned later it probably wouldn't have) of a brand new Cayman S while the other driver wouldn't have probably had to spend a nickle to fix her car. She was able to drive it away from the scene of the accident.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
that was my glass half full scenerio.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login