Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Yes, of course mine. Woohoo!

And based on what the Porsche tech who I ran the numbers by it passed with pretty good numbers, too. Been driving the car a lot more than my usual daily 60 mile road trip work commute with more highway miles than usual and running Shell gas exclusively.

I had the SMOG check done at a shop in downtown Livermore on Monday (I was off work). A nice warm day.

The tires are shot, the rear ones especially. Lighter color belt material is showing through the center portion of the tread. New tires on order, in fact on back order (be here around the 20th of May).

The reason I mention the tires is when the tech checks the car over he mentions the tires' condition.

Then after the car is on the rollers and he's in the car bringing the RPMs up to get the necessary speeds at which the test is done (15mph and 25mph) the spinning the tires squealed so bad due to slipping I was afraid the rollers wouldn't spin fast enough and the car (or a tire) would fail.

But nothing bad happened and the car passed SMOG and it is 2 years 'til the next check is required.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
that is amazing. congratulations!
frogster - Tuesday, 1 May, 2012, at 2:48:27 pm
that is quite an amazing feat, marc. by the sounds of it, you'll be closing in on 300k soon! congrats

--
MY 2000 S, Ocean Blue, Metropol Blue, Savanah Beige.
Bought June 2000 - Sold May 2010
Great to hear Marc that's fantastic! What
DougW - Tuesday, 1 May, 2012, at 4:23:37 pm
Tires are you going with?
is I had the dealer's parts manager work the numbers for the various tires (all N-rated) and all the other tires were either more expensive (from $5/each fronts to $15 or more each rears) or in same cases the fronts were the same price, but the rears a few dollars more. The tire brands included the common N-rated brands: Michelin, Pirelli, Bridgestone, Continental and I believe even the new Goodyear tires that are now rated for these cars, though I have yet to see any of these Goodyear tires.

Since I have had very good results with the Michelin tires I felt no need to pay a few dollars more for tires and stray from Michelin. Now I have run, am running other brands of tires on my 996. I have had Continental and Bridgestone tires (currently Bridgestone tires) on the car and both brands of tires have performed very well. I would not have been concerned at all running either one of these brands on the Boxster.

Heck to save significant money I would have even gone back to Pirelli tires but like I said the Michelin tires came in with a very competitive price and what's not to like about that?

Just they're on back order.

I was told the tire supplier (I think it is Tire Rack) the dealer buys tires from prohibits the ordering of more than one type/size of tire per day to prevent someone (dealer/dealer group/chain/etc) from buying up the current stock of tires.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
MikenOH
n/t

of tire. I'm driving the 996 today (and everyday since the Boxster tires are very bad) or I'd go out and look at the car.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Marc, that car loves you
Roger987 - Tuesday, 1 May, 2012, at 8:09:00 pm
Don't ever sell it.
Marc's not going to sell that car.
Guenter in Ontario - Tuesday, 1 May, 2012, at 11:25:56 pm
At a 1/4 million miles, he's just got it broken in.

Way to go, Marc. smileys with beer
...and celebrate a mileage interval with some freebee for you like a new one?
I really like the looks of the new (2013?) Boxster/Cayman.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
if well cared for.

Let's see, i reached 44k after 6 1/2 years. So to get to 250k will take a total of 36.5 years.

So 6.5 down, 30 to go. Watch your mirror.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Re: the M96 motor is durable, except when it isn't.
frogster - Saturday, 5 May, 2012, at 4:27:40 pm
i would venture a small wager that the number of M96 engines that have made it beyond 100k miles (150? 200?) is very small compared to the number that have failed due to IMS or RMS problems.

--
MY 2000 S, Ocean Blue, Metropol Blue, Savanah Beige.
Bought June 2000 - Sold May 2010
Yes, IMS can be a big deal. As you know, i took care of that.

No one knows how many. I too suspect its uncomfortably high.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login