Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Engine mount: stripped thread
headdead - Tuesday, 1 May, 2012, at 10:29:11 pm
I managed to strip a female thread in the engine block while changing the engine mount on my 2001 Boxster S 3.2 6speed 87000 miles.
The 10 x 1.5 80mm bolt passes through the engine mount, through the oil pump housing, and threads into the case. 4 bolts hold the eng mount to the engine. I stripped the threads on the lower driver side.
I think the best repair is a Time Sert or E-Z lock installed in the case, but I THINK I need to remove the engine mount (again) and the oil pump housing in order to tap the stripped threads.

Is it possible to remove the oil pump housing, from behind the seats and from under the car, WITHOUT removing the engine? Anybody got any great ideas?
I would start by using a die to rethread it
Boxsterra - Wednesday, 2 May, 2012, at 9:22:48 am
I can't remember the positioning but there is a chance you could access it from the top but in all likelihood you will have to remove the engine mount to get at it.
Re: I would start by using a die to rethread it
headdead - Wednesday, 2 May, 2012, at 9:31:23 am
The engine mount is an easy removal. The question is whether or not I need to remove the oil pump housing. If so, must I drop the engine? Also, its the female threads that are stripped. The bolt does not need to be threaded with a die.
Yeah, I meant tap, not die *NM*
Boxsterra - Wednesday, 2 May, 2012, at 3:30:42 pm
Re: Yeah, I meant tap, not die
Laz - Wednesday, 2 May, 2012, at 5:57:06 pm
Thanks for sharing.
Roger987 - Wednesday, 2 May, 2012, at 9:20:03 pm
[en.wikipedia.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2012 09:24PM by Roger987. (view changes)
suffice. The threads are missing material. While the tap will re-cut the threads and bring the thread form back, the tap can't add material, metal.

The internal threads will likely strip again.

The proper fix then is a thread insert of some kind.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
What I would do is ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Wednesday, 2 May, 2012, at 10:01:05 am
... get the next size larger bolt and tap for that size.
There's still a lot of room in the engine mount's hole to allow for a larger stud.
If you get a long extension you should not have to remove anything but the engine mount itself.

Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login