Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
2002 key won't snap together
richardinatlanta - Thursday, 3 May, 2012, at 7:04:24 am
The other day I picked up the key to my 2002 Boxster and the 2 halves of the key were not flush. I figured I could just snap them back together, but they will not stay together. I see 2 tabs under the top piece of the key and I figure they may have something to do with this situation. How can I fix this? I hope I do not have to buy another key!
Sometimes it helps
Boxsterra - Thursday, 3 May, 2012, at 11:47:43 am
to take out the rubber gasket and put it in the opposite side. Out ends up on the same place either way but for some reason easier to snap it together.
Re: Sometimes it helps
richardinatlanta - Thursday, 3 May, 2012, at 3:19:30 pm
I will try that when I get home. I hope the solution is that easy!
MichaelB - Friday, 4 May, 2012, at 10:20:34 am
Had both remote keys (MY 02S) apart many times. Replaced micro switches 2 yrs ago. Reassembly is counter intuitive. Yes, which side holds the rubber gasket makes it easier. When looking at it and analyzing, try doing the opposite of what appears to be the way to align and click the 2 halves together.
richardinatlanta - Friday, 4 May, 2012, at 10:48:20 am
I have tried all of the wonderful suggestions given to no avail. It appears that the front (the end pointing toward the metal part of the key) will not stay down. Is there a 3rd tab in the front that clips the 2 halves of the key together?
richardinatlanta - Monday, 7 May, 2012, at 7:31:28 am
There are 3 pieces to the key:
  1. The piece that has the metal key attached - Part 1
  2. The "Key Brain" - Part 2
  3. The part of the key with the 3 buttons on it - Part 3
I was able to snap the key together by taking Part 2 out of Part 1 and attaching Part 2 to Part 3. I was able to then put the assembly with Part 2 and Part 3 into the Part 1.
Great, problem solved *NM*
Boxsterra - Monday, 7 May, 2012, at 11:01:02 pm
o-ring which over time degrades to the point it interferes with the cases snapping together.

I've not had any problem with this o-ring removed, but of course you want to avoid subjecting the key to any moisture like leaving it in your pants when they are washed/dryed or dropping the key in a puddle, etc.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login