Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Catalytic converters cracked
Kinnick4Ever - Friday, 11 May, 2012, at 12:26:56 am
In the process of changing the oil and replacing the starter, my mechanic noted that BOTH cats on my 00 Boxster are cracked at the flange. Said the problem is fairly common in Boxsters. He suggested replacing them--not necessarilly right away but sometime fairly soon--at an estimated labor cost of $300. How common is this problem and does his price seem reasonable?
The labor cost is not ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Friday, 11 May, 2012, at 7:32:16 am
... what will hurt.
Did your tech give you the price of a set of cats?
You could probably find them from a dismantler.
Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Both cats? The car has 4....
jg wnc - Friday, 11 May, 2012, at 8:26:50 am
two on each side. I am guessing that he is referring to the secondary cats on both sides as the primaries are built into the header.

Being a cheap SOB, I would see if the flanges could be re-welded. If not, then I would take it as a sign that I need to install a whole new exhaust system with headers and a sport cat plus a secondary cat bypass to allow the car to breathe better.
If you're talking about the metal being cracked
Boxsterra - Friday, 11 May, 2012, at 9:20:09 am
I would have them re-welded. The cost of replacement parts is high.
Thanks for the advice. I'll certainly ask about the possibility of welding. And if that fails, it may indeed be a sign! -smiling smiley

Seriously, what WOULD a whole new exhaust system with headers and a sport cat plus secondary cat bypass sound like? I'm a daily Boxster driver with a wife who enjoys quiet evening trips out into the countryside. Would this investment stir my own daily driving passions or would it instead ruin my wife's pleasant outings? For the record, I've not heard a Boxster with such a system installed so I have no idea how loud my car would become.
I think there are a few guys on the board that are running the setup with headers w/sport cats and secondary cat bypass pipes. I'll let them jump in and tell you what it sounds like vs. stock.
a comment.....
por911(bc) - Sunday, 13 May, 2012, at 1:00:22 pm
You might find a low mile set at an auto yard and replace the motor and trans mounts. The drive line is moving around too much which is why the exhaust cracks. This was a problem with the 944/968 series as well when people let the mounts go too long. I've found over the years, there are few who can really get the welds correct on that type of exhaust. It's easier finding a non-cracked set. The suggestion of bypass pipes is not a bad one. We're running a set of Fabspeed bypass pipes on our 01(base) and love them. I found a set for about $225.
regards

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2012 01:00PM by por911(bc). (view changes)
Re: a comment.....
Kinnick4Ever - Tuesday, 15 May, 2012, at 11:04:51 am
I'm debating whether to purchase a used set from an 03 (thanks to another poster on this board!) or possibly replacing them with sports cats. Where can one find a set of Fabspeed cats in the $225 range?
Kinnick4Ever - Tuesday, 15 May, 2012, at 11:20:41 am
Update: My mechanic tells me it's NOT the secondary cats but rather the primary cats (affixed to the headers) that are cracked. He's going to price OEM new versus sport headers with sport cats and we'll go from there.
por911(bc) - Tuesday, 15 May, 2012, at 12:48:02 pm
I spotted the bypass pipes from a local shop that wanted to get rid of inventory and posted it on CL. Yep, it's usually the header or primary pipe that cracks. If your going to price OEM, you might give some calls into discounting dealers(Sunset, Suncoast, etc....). You might also check CL, as there are a number of cars where people have replaced the whole system with aftermarket and are selling their oem systems. I noticed a number of low km/mile Boxsters being parted on the Vancouver board.
Used is fine as long as the miles are reasonably low and the price is right of course. Just make sure the internals don't rattle.
regards
Kinnick4Ever
Update: My mechanic tells me it's NOT the secondary cats but rather the primary cats (affixed to the headers) that are cracked. He's going to price OEM new versus sport headers with sport cats and we'll go from there.

Over a year ago I priced replacements for my 02 base and the parts price alone was over $1000. Factor in some labor and taxes and such and the cost per bank could be $1250 or higher. Ouch!

I'm not at your car but I'd think you could find a place to weld/braze the crack. I was a machinist and worked in a machine shop for years (and was a welder before that) and have seen skilled welders do some wonderful work.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login