Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
And now the battery...
MarcW - Friday, 11 May, 2012, at 1:22:51 pm
Got the Boxster back yesterday and the new tires are a dream.

Drove around town and because it was hot I had the A/C on. The engine felt like it was laboring some, its idle while smooth had the feel/sound like there was a load on the engine. This is out of character. One benefit of the autoclimate system is the compressor is a variable displacement unit which presents a very small load to the engine most of the time.

But no signs of any distress so I drove on, but with a bit of worry in the back of my mind.

Anyhow, this AM the Boxster manifested a starting problem. The engine cranked very slowly and the windows were cycling down and up like the door switches were being activated then deactivated.

The behavior caught me totally off guard and I turned the key off. Then I tried again and this time held the key at the start position a while longer and the engine caught and ran just fine.

I let the engine warm up some then drove around and parked the car closer to where I live and in an easier to reach spot if I had to work on it or have it towed.

I turned the engine off and tried to restart it. It fired right up so I ran an errand but I hate to admit I left the engine idling for a moment while I ran inside a convenience store. I locked the car with another key. The engine was so quiet though that when I came back to the car I had to listen carefully to note it was running. I had at first feared it had stalled while I was away for just 30 seconds or so.

After getting home I shut off the engine and then 2 hours later I came back and the engine again barely started. This time the dash lights/segments were just about dark when the engine caught.

I headed straight over to the dealer and long story short the car's in getting a new battery. The old battery (Moll -- made in Germany) has a date of 06/08 so I got around 4 years from this battery. The previous battery (OE) lasted approx 6 years.

The new battery is not a Moll, but an Interstate. Same 'size' as the Moll: 12V, 80AH, 380CCA. Not made in Germany, nor Spain (as some were) but in Mexico. Other Interstate batteries (the parts manager let me look over some) are made in the USA.

Anyhow, $150 for the battery and I do not know yet the installationi cost (it is under 'book' and I think I hear $50 bandied about). I would have installed it myself but no tools in the car.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login